Custom Search

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Shark Attacked!

Remember how I used to mop once a year? I now mop weekly. WEEKLY, PEOPLE!
That is once a week! And sometimes, I mop TWICE a week!

When I saw this baby in a Black Friday ad for $39, I knew that Christmas would not come unless the lavender beauty was under our tree. My husband had to get the thing or fail abysmally. The poor guy though had no personal experience with Black Friday, so I suggested he simply get up at midnight and trudge over to the computer and order my Shark. (Yes, it was already "my" Shark.)

My husband got up at 6am. Yes, six in the morning. Yes, when Black Friday shoppers are GOING HOME to SLEEP after a long night of eating customers and picking their teeth clean using store shelving.

"It's sold out, honey," he said as he crawled back into bed.

"What time is it?" I mumbled.

"Six."

My eyes popped open. "Six? SIX??" and then I laughed a maniacal laugh.

"I didn't know..." he offered.

I hopped onto the computer and sure enough my Shark was missing. After a couple hours of panic and disbelief, the website was replenished with a tankful of new Sharks, and I placed an order myself. All was again well in the world. 

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, for the first time ever, I bought my own dang Christmas gift. I feigned all sorts of surprise when the package arrived at the door, when my husband was in another room wrapping the mystery box, and when I finally opened my gift.

Now... why I (heart) my Shark.

The first time I used it, there was proof a-plenty on the cloth that I had previously mopped infrequently, but my floor ended up looking and FEELING clean for days!

PROs
  • After three uses, all the grease and dirt build-up around my kitchen appliances was gone.
  • The floor is cleaned with steam, so it dries quicker than when mopping with a bucket of water.
  • No chemicals! Disinfecting occurs with steam.
  • Speaking of water, it only uses 1 cup of water.
  • Quick to use. I only wait 20-30 seconds for the water in the tank to heat up, and off I go.
  • Slim. Takes up no room in my coat closet.
  • Easy to port. No carrying buckets of water, so I actually mop the laundry room, all the bathrooms, and the front door entrance, which was previously unheard of.

CONs, though pretty much inconsequential to me:
  • A longer cord would be cool; in the kitchen, I have to change the plug location once. (waah.)
  • Must use distilled water; not a con for me since I have reverse osmosis at the kitchen sink, but this could be a "con" to someone else.
  • The Shark has more drag than a regular mop, but for me, it's easier than scrubbing the floor by hand, which is what I used to do.
  • Uses electricity. But the trade-off is that I use lots less water and definitely less time.
  • The kids think the Shark is cool so they want to "help".

I had been waiting to write this post until I had a couple months with my shark and see if I still loved it. I DO!

Excuse me now, I have a hot, steamy date in the kitchen.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Uh oh. With everyone else raving about it, I thought it was just a fad purchase, and everyone would soon find out how lousy it is. (Can we say Swiffer?). But I think you just suckered me into trusting you.

(I ordered my own present too - a new vacuum pack for our central system. Ben is ashamed. I am thrilled.)

Heather said...

I have the bisell version and adore it. I think everyone should throw away their swiffers and get one. Glad to know the shark is good too. In case we would be in the market again

Katy said...

I got a Shark from Costco earlier this year and have loved it as well! In my townhome, I always washed my floor by hand, on my hands and knees. There was no way that was going to happen here, so I spent a few years trying various mops, never finding anything I was happy with. The Shark is the best ever!

Kat said...

This is a great blog. I was thinking about what we were going to use in our home when we finish it. I've gotten really tired of using a mop. It doesn't work the best.