Custom Search

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Where Children Sleep

I so want this book in my family library!

Where Children Sleep is a collection of briefs and photos of 56 children from around our world and the places in which they sleep at night. The author mentioned he initially imagined he would do a book called Beds or Bedrooms but soon found out a lot of children don't have even those. This book is the result of that awakening.

Here, a selection of featured portraits:



The photos tell stories all on their own, but the brief stories that accompany them add more depth and often poignancy to the subject.

The author's intent was to illustrate inequality in this earth, but I believe this project accomplishes more than that. For me it is a book on awareness, gratitude, and compassion. After all, these children take their stories and grow up to be adults.


You can experience the book online here: http://issuu.com/chrisboot/docs/where_children_sleep_by_james_mollison

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow.

Looking at just these four examples, it's surprising which ones I actually feel "sorry" for. Maybe different from the rest of the world. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks.

Kristen said...

Okay. NOW I'm not going to get any sleep tonight. Unbelievable.

islandgirl said...

Wow, you know I'm adding this book to my wishlist too!