Custom Search

Saturday, July 16, 2011

What Do You Do All Day?

I've been asked this several times over the years. The surprising thing is that it has been asked by other women, some who are stay-at-home moms, some who are working moms, some who are friends, some who are acquaintances. What is it about me that people see and wonder, "What the heck does Adhis do all day?"

I have been a stay-at-home woman for the majority of my married life to David, a big contrast to my life the year before I met him in which I had 10 jobs! I've been home and had no kids, home and had foster children, home and have birth children. I've been asked the question through all of these stages.

"What do you do at home all day?"

Mainly, I sit in bed reading novels, eating Twizzlers and ice cream all day. The children come into my room once in a while to replenish my bowl and ask, "Mother, we just finished cleaning the kitchen and the gutters; how else may we serve you?" It's a charmed life really.

One word to describe how I spend my time: Learning.

Using two words to describe what I do: Too much.

There is so much to learn before we die and not much time before we do! How can anyone ever be bored? There are so many causes that need volunteers, so many people who need a friend, so many books to learn from, so many activities from which to glean experiences, so many hobbies to explore, so many places to visit!

Perhaps, I will begin posting occasional shorts about some of the things I spend my time doing. I wouldn't want you to think I really do eat ice cream all day.

That reminds me, my bowl is empty again. Where are the children?

3 comments:

islandgirl said...

Adhis, I was just telling Ken how one thing we have in common is that we both like to learn. That is what leads us on the road to self improvement through the similar interests we have like Kirk Duncan's body language program and the Dressing Your Truth program. I expressed to Ken that day (I think it was when we did the pottery thing) why it was that we are always doing such things, but others seem to have no interest. That's obviously a drive we both have to always be doing something and pushing ourselves to become better. Some people find that through other means, whether that be sewing, cooking, reading, decorating, homeschooling, there are countless ways we each choose to walk through life. None of us are just sitting eating bonbons (ok sometimes we do, right...give me a good book and some chocolate and I'm happy)

Kristen said...

What's intriguing to me is the women who are unhappy because they don't get the bon bon lifestyle they expected. "What? I have to do laundry?" I was taught that no matter my choices in life, I would be happiest if I WORK HARD every day. So I work hard at being a mom/housekeeper/whatever, and I love it. I really do. I'm sad for women who don't earn it and for people who don't understand it.

(I'm not sure this is in line with your post. It's what you got ME thinking about.)

Kat said...

I think I saw them running after the ice cream truck. :) Hopefully they got your order right with the ice cream man. Sheesh, who would think that you actually have to work when you're a mom. LOL