Custom Search

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Google Search

Do you remember when Google's email service, Gmail, first came out? You could only open an account if someone invited you. I would have been completely oblivious to the event, but it was all my husband could talk about.
"... And only a few people have one, and you can only have one if someone invites you. Now, I just have to find someone who has one and have them send me an invitation."

Oh, he looked and he asked around, but no one he knew had the elusive Gmail invitation.

So, you can imagine my husband, who is a HUGE Google-anything fan, was devastated when I, his technologically-naive but virtually-socially-connected wife, received an invitation to open a Gmail account.


I was at home trying to figure out an email name since "Adhis" was one character short of the required six. I decided to tease my husband. David was on his way home from work, unaware of my new virtual acquisition, when I called his cell phone.
"Honey, could you help me with something?" I asked innocently.

"Sure, what is it?"

"I'm trying to come up with a name for my new Gmail account, but it says 'Adhis' is too short a name," I complained.

"WHAT?? I want a Gmail account!! How did you get a Gmail account???"

"Oh, some friend sent me an invitation. So, what name should I choose?"

He sounded just like a little boy trying to be supportive without crying about the woeful state of his world.

I continued, "Oh, I'll just figure it out. Love you, sweetie!" and hung up with a big smile on my face.

I chose a name my husband would love. When he got home, I showed him the account with feigned naivete as he coveted it and told me about all the great features. Then, I told him I was giving it to him. He almost cried. I am not exaggerating. His face broke down in emotion, he was near tears and kept expressing his undying gratitude to me through words and hugs. It was one of the oddest things I have ever beheld in our 10 years of marriage.

To this day, I can bring up that moment, and I'm a hero, though looking back now, he does feel a little bit sheepish about his reaction.

One would think he would have by now outgrown his feelings of "Google exclusion" but man, oh man, you should have seen his face just a year ago when Google sent me a postcard confirming my AdWords association with them. It was like I had been invited to the Google Mansion and had been specifically instructed to not bring him.

That boy does love his Google!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Google is going to take over the world. And I am pretty much OK with that.

Kristen said...

You ARE a hero! I love this post.

One of the things I've loved about you since I first met you is that you speak positively of your husband. (Husband and kid bashing make me very uncomfortable.) I like to surround myself with people who adore their spouses, even in all their imperfect glory.

Did I mention that I love this post?

Kristen said...

Oh and my first memory of google is when I was a freshman at BYU and I was asked to sign a petition to allow google search on campus. Apparently the university's internet censorship was blocking out anything google related. Heh. The petition actually worked! We've come a long way, google and I.

Jeff Skousen said...

That was great! Guess you have to keep your man in check every once in a while :)