Custom Search

Sunday, May 1, 2011

How to Close a Blog

With the growth of my online professional presence, I am contemplating closing this blog as I'd like to keep some things off the radar from clients and associates. But I'm not sure of the best way to go about closing shop.

So far, the least painful option is to gradually remove the more intimate blog posts individually and leave up the blog posts that people read most. (I have to say that I'm surprised at some of the blog posts consistently rated as "most popular" based on blog stats. The fluffy Jason Mraz post? Really??) But I feel a sense of sadness about removing anything. Do I just need to rip off the Band-aid® by shutting down the whole thing and let myself mourn?

I started this blog to write for myself, and later, to share stories with neighbors. I am not wholly sure what this blog is now (another reason I have not been posting any of my many, many drafts), but it holds a lot of history for me. Or should I leave it open and just change the direction/purpose of my writing?

I'm not really interested in the "private blog" thing. Do you have any other ideas? Instead of making a rash decision (as is my usual M.O.), I'd like to consider all angles. Share your ideas with me!

8 comments:

steelebjm said...

I think if you DO take anything down, make sure to save a copy of it for yourself personally. It's like a journal, after all. And it's not a lame junior high diary where you just go on about how the cute guy in the hall bumped into you and obviously that means you'll be TOGETHER FOREVER, and you read that diary 10 years later and go, "Holy crap, I was such a dork!" and you toss the diary away and never look back or regret it.

Not that I ever had one of those.

Kristen said...

If you're serious about it, pick a day. Post all your drafts. Create a blog book. Have it printed. And then close up shop. I will miss your blog but sometimes you gotta do what's best for you.

Being private's really not all that bad. Really. That would be MY choice, if it was my choice. But it's not.

A few posts back on my blog I did a very comprehensive post about which blog book I chose and a bunch of pointers, if you're interested. My blog book arrived a few weeks ago and I LOVE it.

You could just delete some posts here and there like you said, but I think it would make you lose some of your overall effect and well-roundedness. Ya know? But it's your blog! Good luck deciding. Hope my comment wasn't too freakishly long.

Bennet said...

You could always do what I did -switch to a new site and change you and your family members' names. That way friends and family can still be in the loop, but clients and associates won't be able to find the new site using a google search of your name.
It's a rather long and tedious process -especially if you change comments- but it's worth it. (At least it was worth it for me. Peace of mind and all that.)

Adhis said...

I hadn't considered that idea. Hmmm...

Of course, I'm not as clever as you and would end up with some lame nickname like Tickles McGee.

Bennet said...

You could totally pull off Tickles McGee.

islandgirl said...

Why not the private blog? Then you wouldn't have to worry about hitting the publish button on some of those posts just waiting to come out for us to read :)Because it'd only be the ones you know reading it...and you do need somewhere to vent your personal grievances, attitudes and thoughts.

JAnderegg said...

Go private!

Kat said...

I know that you will pick whatever is best for you and your family. However, I do have to say that if you stop, I will be really sad. It is good to keep up with you and your family through your blog. I love to keep up with what goes on with you. :) Love ya!