Custom Search

Monday, April 18, 2011

"I Am" movie?

Since I was a little girl, I have had an awareness about the inherent connection of all living things and people. I remember walking through a city park on the way to elementary school and feeling a "communication" with the wild flowers growing near the shuffle board lanes. This experience is the first distinct memory I have in which I realized that every thing has a life and that life is always speaking. This extended later to feeling a connection to the people of the world, even though I was a kid and still largely ignorant about how big the world is and how many different cultures exist in it.

A blessing I later received as a teenager by an LDS patriarch makes mention of this connection and love for all mankind. Every time I read that portion of the transcript, I feel a swelling of excitement in the center of my chest: I can't discover the world and its people soon enough!

Interesting to me is that the topic of deep-seeded connection between all life and people seems to be gradually approaching mainstream. I have seen some speakers, books and videos over the years, but this is the first time I have been aware of a much larger film. Have any of you in other states seen I Am? What is it like? The preview leaves me wanting to see what angles the documentary takes. If you have seen it, do you know where to get a copy or attend a viewing?

On a side note, I had to chuckle at the segment where the "great thinkers" have no idea what movies the director created in the past. I have had plenty of opportunities to be ignorant in current pop culture; I guess I do not mind being ignorant with that kind of company!

7 comments:

steelebjm said...

I don't know about this one, but the movie Babies is fabulous. I love seeing the differences and similarities of these babies from around the world. Plus, your kiddos would be enthralled.

Adhis said...

Where did you see Babies? I saw that preview last year, but never saw the film. It looked so cute.

So, where? Where?

islandgirl said...

I saw Babies from Redbox, but I think Netflix has it too. I AM is at Netflix, want me to get it and come over and watch it at your house? I could have it within a few days once I send my latest one back.

islandgirl said...

Uh, nevermind, it's at Netflix, but unavailable dvd release...hmmmm

islandgirl said...

and Babies is on instant play with netflix!

Janet said...

I loved Babies. I watched it on Netflix.

Kristen said...

I haven't seen the film (big surprise there, haha) but I can relate to what you're saying about living things. I give lots of reasons for moving to the middle of nowhere, but that's the main one. I go outside and I feel everything. It's me.