Custom Search

Monday, November 1, 2010

Obligatory Halloween Post

Halloween is my favorite holiday, but after having my husband gone for three weeks (with weekend breaks) I felt a little lost about participating in festivities. Maybe some of you can relate.

The season starts a little different than other years in that our Halloween decorations are attacked over several days by a loose dog in the neighborhood. So annoying! Our scary cat is salvageable; I will see what I can do about "restoring" our black crow.

Feeling clueless about what to do for the holiday this year, I google for local events. The first link I find is for a witches' tea party at a popular hotel. I think, "Oh, that might be fun to take Little Adhis!" As I read, I find that it is not an event to go to dressed up as a witch; it is an event for people who ARE witches, specifically mentioned: witches, Wiccans, and pagans. So, yeah- no.

The second link I find is for local haunted houses, except it turns out, it is not for houses decked out to look haunted but actual buildings reputed to have paranormal activity. Hm. Google is needing a "what's your intention?" feature. I ditch Google and use other resources.

I discover through Heather's Facebook photos a neat little pumpkin patch nearby. We get our family out the door the first morning of David's return from one of his work trips. We enjoy a pleasant morning of gathering celebratory gourds. Pick a wheelbarrow and off we go!


Guess who got some new teeth to boot?


In place of spending some extra duckets visiting the harvest festivities down the street from my 'hood, we head to Gardner Village. As we pull up to the area, we notice quite the plethora of cars overflowing the sides of the streets. By magic, we quickly find a parking space right next to the properties. We notice groups of women in witch attire walking to Gardner Village. Upon entering the Village, we find ourselves at the Witches' Gathering.


A few minutes into our stroll, I realize I have not properly prepared my toddler for Halloween because every time I say, "Look at that witch," she looks all around and into the sky searching for whatever object I might be describing with my strange new word. To add to the confusion, she does not know why there are so many people dressed so oddly.

After looking into the crowd a while, David looks at me and says, "I don't understand why one is dressed like a sandwich." His face goes blank, and then he utters, "Oh" and starts laughing. It's cute when it takes him a little longer to get a joke.

At the church's suddenly-indoor-due-to-rain trunk-or-treat, Little Adhis becomes overwhelmed with all the costumes and crowding and scary things. Just too much stimulation for a girl who has never seen such things and whose days typically move at a much slower pace.

Being a neat and orderly kind of girl, she deduces the purpose of the evening is to collect things and put them in her bag. Or back into people's bowls. Whichever is more practical.


Though it rains for much of the early evening, Little Dhis and I head out to trick-or-treat while David and Maya stay home handing out glow bracelets. I love going out into the night, just she and me. It is not even about the candy but about going for a walk, seeing things and having fun. (Fun for her being going "knock-knock" on people's doors. She loves that.)

My only regret of the night is wishing I had my camera with me when I get to my neighbor Tracy's house. (This stolen photo off Facebook will have to do). Tracy opens the door in her Lucille Ball get up and yells into the house, "Ricky, come to the door! Sister (MyLastName) is here!"

I say, "You do not have a Ricky in there." And right then her husband Daniel comes in adding weight to his Venezuelan accent, "Oh- well, hello there!"

I don't know what else is said because I am laughing.


Oh, yes! I LOVE Halloween!

1 comment:

steelebjm said...

Glow bracelets is a fabulous idea for a hand-out treat. My girls would LOVE that.