Custom Search

Friday, October 29, 2010

The Decision

(written 9/24/2010 and then forgotten about)

So... I... set this aside after four hours and 17 panties.

Since then...

My daughter continues telling me (non-verbally) she wants to use the grown-up toilet. I ignore her. I do not want to go there. (I mean, *I* "go" there. I'm referring to "go there" as revisiting the topic of potty training.) (You knew that. Right?) (Just making sure.)

Anyway, I ignore her pleas. When I put her down for a nap, she cries if I did not let her sit on the toilet beforehand. During play time, I find her contentedly sitting on the toilet. I ignore all this. No way. No how.

But today...

Today, my daughter comes into the office and lets me know she needs her diaper changed. (Did I forget to mention that is another sign I have been ignoring?) She leads me into her room where I find she has laid out a changing pad, a clean diaper, and a tub of wipes for me to change her. Then, she lies down on the changing pad.

Half way through changing her I realize I need diaper cream. Just then, my cell phone rings, and I answer it. I must have gotten the cream out of her closet, but by the time I hang up the phone, I have forgotten all about it. I pause, trying to remember what I am doing. My daughter notices my confusion, grabs the cream and hands it to me.

That is where I realize a decision has been made for me. The toddler is either virtually ready to change her own diaper, or it's time for hell and its stinky, wet fury.

I whimper.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I've heard of some really cool new diapers. They are designed so that kids can pull them on and off all by themselves. That way, parents don't have to go crazy when they're in that stage.

Then again, some parents enjoy going crazy.

Kristen said...

ps. I'd like to borrow your pumpkin. It's the cutest ever.

Amannda Ashby said...

Sound like she is ready. Maybe it won't be so bad. I have heard stories of kids that when they start potty training they never have accidents. I NEVER got a child like that, but I have heard of them. Maybe, just maybe you'll have one of those kids.

GOOD LUCK!