Custom Search

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Look, Ma! I'm Mexican!

She ain't the purtiest thing in the taco stand,
but she's mine, oh, mine.

I made this whole wheat tortilla.
It's not round, but she'll do until I get the hang of things.
(The innards are from my food storage,
the cheese is from my waxed cheese collection.)
(Oh yeah, who's the Pioneer Woman now?!)




This recipe for the tortillas:
(shared by the Millers, my next-door neighbors)

Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas Recipe

* 2 cups whole wheat flour
* 1 tsp baking powder

* 1/2 tsp salt

* 2 T olive oil

* 1/2 cup warm tap water


  1. Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
  2. Add olive oil and stir until well combined.
  3. Add warm water 1 T at a time until dough can be gathered into a ball.
  4. Add more water if needed 1 T at a time.
  5. Knead on floured surface 15-20 times.
  6. Let dough rest for 15 minutes.
  7. Divide dough into 10-12 equal portions and shape into balls.
  8. On floured surface, roll out ball from center into a circle.
  9. Cook on ungreased skillet over medium-high heat on each side about 30 seconds or until puffy.
  10. May also be cooked longer until they are crisp like a big chip.
  11. Wrap them in a towel to stay warm.

The recipe for the innards:
in this post

The instructions for waxing cheese:
in this post


Es hora de comer!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Yummy yummy! I make white tortillas fairly often but haven't tried wheat. Will do!

For a yummy sauce, mix half part sour cream and half part guacamole - the best on homemade tortillas!

Ooh I'm hungry now.