That means it's time to check in on how we're doing with our New Year's resolutions.
Hey! A bird!
(Adhis scurries into hiding)
OK, my Rest Goals:
- Sit alone with no radio, no book, no internet once a day.
- Be out of the office by 8pm.
- Read to my daughter once a day.
- Nap at least once during the day, even if only for 15 minutes.
I will refocus by:
- sitting alone in quiet right after my morning workout
- setting an Internet lock-out for 8:30pm
- reading to my toddler before bedtime
- napping for 15-45 minutes when the baby and the toddler nap at the same time
Now, my Money Goals
1) Set aside $2,000 by April for this upcoming baby.
Check. And good thing, too! We didn't plan on an emergency C-section. Our bills totaled more than $12,000. Thank goodness for insurance. Our total out of pocket was about $2500. If we decide to have another baby, I think I'll push for a baby fund of at least $3,000.
2) Contribute additional $3600 into retirement account.
Not quite check. We did come across that much money but decided instead to throw it into our Emergency Fund to get closer to a 6-months' reserve. We also increased David's automatic 401(k) contributions by $20 a month.
BTW, did you know if you are paid biweekly, April and October have extra paychecks? We have our budget set up to live on 2 paychecks per month, so we used April's extra check to open college funds for the babies, set aside about $500 for my Roth IRA, and put some money aside for a family reunion David will be traveling to in September.
3) Earn an extra $20,000.
Not there yet. I have been earning some hundreds here and there, but I realized I have not kept track of these, so I would not know if/when I hit $20K. Lesson learned. I will keep a record starting now.
I'm sure of no surprise to most of you, adding a second child has thrown into the process a bigger wrench than I anticipated. I do have some things in the works. Now, I just need to wake up WAY earlier than the kids, so I have quality time to work. I work best late at night, but you can see that contradicts my resting goals.
How are you guys doing with the commitments you made to yourself?