Custom Search

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

July Resolution Check-in

HOLY SCHMOLEY! IT'S ALREADY JULY!

That means it's time to check in on how we're doing with our New Year's resolutions.

Yikers.

So....

Hey! A bird!
(Adhis scurries into hiding)


Fine.

OK, my Rest Goals:
  • Sit alone with no radio, no book, no internet once a day.
  • Be out of the office by 8pm.
  • Read to my daughter once a day.
  • Nap at least once during the day, even if only for 15 minutes.
I haven't been resting as much as I have been passing out. A newborn will do that to me.

I will refocus by:
  • sitting alone in quiet right after my morning workout
  • setting an Internet lock-out for 8:30pm
  • reading to my toddler before bedtime
  • napping for 15-45 minutes when the baby and the toddler nap at the same time

Now, my Money Goals
1) Set aside $2,000 by April for this upcoming baby.
Check. And good thing, too! We didn't plan on an emergency C-section. Our bills totaled more than $12,000. Thank goodness for insurance. Our total out of pocket was about $2500. If we decide to have another baby, I think I'll push for a baby fund of at least $3,000.

2) Contribute additional $3600 into retirement account.
Not quite check. We did come across that much money but decided instead to throw it into our Emergency Fund to get closer to a 6-months' reserve. We also increased David's automatic 401(k) contributions by $20 a month.

BTW, did you know if you are paid biweekly, April and October have extra paychecks? We have our budget set up to live on 2 paychecks per month, so we used April's extra check to open college funds for the babies, set aside about $500 for my Roth IRA, and put some money aside for a family reunion David will be traveling to in September.

3) Earn an extra $20,000.
Not there yet. I have been earning some hundreds here and there, but I realized I have not kept track of these, so I would not know if/when I hit $20K. Lesson learned. I will keep a record starting now.

I'm sure of no surprise to most of you, adding a second child has thrown into the process a bigger wrench than I anticipated. I do have some things in the works. Now, I just need to wake up WAY earlier than the kids, so I have quality time to work. I work best late at night, but you can see that contradicts my resting goals.


How are you guys doing with the commitments you made to yourself?

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Good, good, and... I can't remember what my 3rd one was. Not a good sign. I'll have to check my journal.

Congrats on your success and good luck with the rest!

Englishfam said...

I have accomplished a few of mine-selling boy baby clothes, bedding, toys, getting the nursery painted, less computer time (I try not to check it more than twice a day)but still have 3 more to do! Thanks for keeping me in check. :) Way to go on all the money goals. That is awesome!

Jackie said...

I resolved to be more diligent about reading my scriptures. I'm doing well.

I also resolved to accessorize better, that's going well too.