Custom Search

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Bountiful Baskets

Awww... yeeeahh...

(cue sultry bass beat)

Baby...
Baby, come get fruity with me...

Oh, yeeeah...
and get a little veggie with me...

(insert record scratch)

Ok, that doesn't make sense, but --

BEHOLD!


This beauty cost me $15 through a produce co-op!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
POP QUIZ:
In the mix, are two things that I am allergic to but hadn't considered I would receive.
They are SO DELICIOUS to me but also SO VICIOUS.
They are DEVICIOUS.
My husband is absolutely stoked since he loves those things, too,
and he will get most of them to himself.

Do you know what the two things are?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also in my basket of goodies, I received one thing I have never cooked: Swiss chard. Now, maybe lots of you cook with it because you know how to cook, but I don't know how to cook. I am not confident in the kitchen when it comes to cooking something with less common ingredients or with flavor. I know how to mix common proteins, carbohydrates and fats together for a nutritionally-balanced plate. I wish I knew how to think out of the box and use spices. I cook to survive, and that's about it.

At the co-op pick-up location, I held up the healthy-looking green bunch and asked into the group present, "How do I cook Swiss chard?"

A very enthusiastic volunteer came charging at me and said, "You know what's the EASIEST way to cook it??"

"No," I smiled.

"You wash it and cut it up..." she began in a quite animated manner.

"Uh-huh," I leaned in with a smile.

"You put it in a 9x13 pan..." she continued.

"OK..." I said as I got excited thinking, "Hey, *I* have a 9x13 pan!"

"You put some salt and pepper on it..." she gestured.

"Yeah..." I said as my eyebrows perked up because, hey, I HAVE salt and pepper! My heart began dancing a jig.

"And then you throw pork chops on it!" she said like it was the period at the end of a sentence. That was it. As simple as that. Throw some pork chops on it and -wallah!- Swiss chard.

All of my enthusiasm went out like a balloon whose knot had been untied.

"Oh, OK!" I feigned. I didn't have the heart to tell her I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO COOK PORK CHOPS. I thought to myself, "Mental note: Google Swiss chard."

On to more familiar things:

LO!


That's 5 loaves of 9 Grain bread for $10. I usually pay $4+ PER LOAF of 9 Grain bread at the store, so this is a delicious score for the husband and me. AND I know how to use bread!

Want to score awesomely on your produce bill?
Check www.bountifulbaskets.org to see if you can take advantage of such deals in your state (AZ, ID, NV, TX, UT, W, WY) and city.

Thanks, Megan, for sharing this 'secret' with our 'hood!

Thanks, Aubrey, for helping me complete my first order!

8 comments:

Lyns said...

Best idea ever. I could have written your post considering I love my bountiful basket, I don't know how to cook anything out of the ordinary, I love saving money, and I too believe that the 9 grain bread is DIVINE!

Wendy said...

Ooh, don't even cook the Swiss chard. We use it all the time in wraps, just sliced up and spread in the tortilla with avocado, sprouts, tomatoes, whatever you would put in a wrap. It's so good for you and compared to a lot of the other uber healthy greens, has the mildest flavour. I have got to get in on one of those co-ops. :)

Adhis said...

Wendy, Dave just had it in a salad. For some reason, I was thinking it was like kale, so very bitter. Yeah, I can live with raw Swiss chard.

abby said...

Cook swiss chard in garlic and olive oil. It knocks some of the bitterness out of it.

Marcella said...

I am totally going to do this! Thanks for the heads up! Looks great too! I LOVE GOOD DEALS!

Kristen said...

Strawberries and avocados.

What do I win?!?!?!

My favorite thing to watch is Food Network because there are FUN shows that teach those things. You'd love it. Now all you need is a TV.

Congrats, though, on having a 13x9 pan.

Going to look up my city now. (Snicker snicker.)

Kristen said...

Nope, not there. FINE. Sounds wonderful though.

韋志韋志 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.