Custom Search

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Sign for Weary Mothers

Last night, just before 2am, I heard something. Two "somethings" to be exact. I heard the toddler let out a little whine from her room at the opposite end of the house. I heard the infant squeak from her bassinet in our room.

I thought, "No way."

A few seconds of silence passed, and then, they both exploded into screams and cries at separate ends of the house . AT THE EXACT SAME TIME.

My husband and I froze in the dark like children jerked awake by a midnight air raid.

"What do we do??" I whispered.

Insert deafening non-response from the lips of the adults.

My husband broke our paralysis.

"I'll get Adhis. You get the baby." And we sprung out of the bed to our assigned routes.

What followed were hours of awakedness. Thus was born the cranky, snap-at-each-other, bleary-eyed morning.

At about 1pm, I was dragging across the kitchen looking for something to sustain me through the rest of the day. My eyes wandered out the window. I saw a sign.

Some people look for inspiration in the heavens. Some see signs in nature. My message was on my neighbor's garage door.


See it?


Hey, I'll take any encouragement at this time.

We are powerful and never alone.

Dear mothers of the world, may the Force be with you!


[Posted song: "The Sign" by Ace of Base]

9 comments:

Aubrey said...

*Chuckle*

Hehehehe I LOVE it!!! HILARIOUS!!

Jackie said...

awesome, love it.

brittneyboucha said...

COGRATULATIONS! my new little niece is adorable and looks like me a little bit when i was born with her chubby cheeks. she almost is as big as me. way to go adhis! congrats to daddy and big sis too!

islandgirl said...

Ah, that's the G's, right? I have to laugh about both kids crying. Seems like I don't remember those days, although I am sure I had them, in time the force will help you forget, lol!

Amannda Ashby said...

Congrats! I was in a hurry to drop off dinner. I told Paul that taking dinner is ment to give you a chance to see the baby and I didn't even have time to ask. Sounds like things are normal at your house. I will never forget the first day when Paul went back to work. I was left all alone with two kids and ony one me to do it all. I learned really fast the everyone HAD to take turns, and sometimes it was my turn.

Kristen said...

I'm giggling and crying at the same time. What is WRONG with me?

Nathalie Smith said...

how funny!!

Keri said...

Congrats on the birth of your daughter! after reading the birthing story I am so glad you are all ok!! Good luck with the sleepness nights....

"the force is strong with this one"

Keri said...

Congrats on the birth of your daughter! after reading the birthing story I am so glad you are all ok!! Good luck with the sleepless nights....

"the force is strong with this one"