Custom Search

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Two Tasty Things to Do with Wheat

Got buckets and buckets of wheat in your food storage? Let's start a club!

Fortunately, wheat will keep for at least 20 years! Even so, I thought David and I should figure out what to do with it before the 20 years run out (although, we inherited these from my mother-in-law who had them for years, so we really have no clue how old they are).

I found both of these recipes recently; they are easy, and they are tasty! Baby Dhis loves both of them.

Warning!

Do not give your young kids more than 2 of these muffins a day until you know how their bodies will handle them.

Let's just say: "REGULAR" and "GO" and "EXPLOSION!"


I will share the recipes as they were originally posted and make my personal notes in red.


Mini-Healthy Cupcakes
Got this recipe off this blog.


1½ cups shredded/grated carrots
½ cup ground nuts
½ cup olive oil
½ cup honey (or agave nectar)
2 beaten eggs
½ cup raisins
¼ cup flax seed (grind/blend before adding to batter or you will receive no nutritional value from them)
¼ cup dried cranberries
1¼ cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
(I also add a ¼ cup of plain nonfat yogurt for moisture.)

Fill each mini cupcake in the tin to the fullest it can go. Cook at 350ºF for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (Cool for a minute to make it easier to remove from pan.)

Top with icing. I make a cream cheese/maple syrup flavored icing to go on top. (I don't even bother with making icing. If your family will eat these without icing, why add the saturated fat and sugar?)






Blender Pancakes
Got this at a recent Provident Living Fair in my stake
By the Handy Family


Put the following ingredients into a blender and blend for 3 minutes on high speed:
1 cup wheat kernels
1 cup milk

Then, add the following ingredients and blend for another 2 minutes:
½ cup milk

Then, add the following ingredients and blend well:
2 eggs
½ cup vegetable oil (For thinner pancakes, substitute 1/4 cup with applesauce)
¼ tsp. salt

Then, add the following ingredient and blend well:
1 TB. baking powder

Ready for the grill! Pouring about ¼ cup of batter from the blender per pancake, yields about 24 pancakes.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I use our wheat for bread and it actually cycles through pretty fast! I can give you the recipe if you want. We eat 6 loaves every week or so.

I grew up on those blender pancakes. Major tip: Don't undercook!!! Soggy is not your friend.

Way to go Adhis! Looks like she loves them. I'll try the muffins.

Adhis said...

Send David the recipe. I told him if he wants us to eat homemade bread, he needs to be the one making it!

Seriously, send it to him.

Utah_Dave said...

Yes, please send it to me! Thanks!

Nathalie Smith said...

my friend stephanie just went to a class that make wheat taste like chicken. They made "chicken" nuggets and "chicken" pot pie. She said it felt like and tasted like chicken. Weird I know, but could give ya variety if needed!

Kristen said...

You look so round and beautiful! =o) Your kids will love these pictures forever! Except maybe the kissing one. That one may go through a phase.