Custom Search

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Jason Mraz Wears a Hat but not a CTR Ring

?
Am I the only one who thought Jason Mraz's song "I'm Yours" included the lyric "listen to the music of the Mormon people dance and sing"?

The singing part made sense (think MoTab), but the dancing? This incongruency was my first clue that I better google the lyrics. Maybe in other states, Mormons dance at wedding receptions. In Utah, receptions involve fake ivy, Christmas lights, and a long wait for a short interaction with the bride and groom. No dancing involved unless you're 3 years old and being oh-so-cute.


?
Am I the only one who thinks if Jason Mraz lost the stupid hat, no one would recognize him?





Heaven help him if he walks into the recording studio on a blustery day.

Front desk secretary: Who are you?
Jason: Jason Mraz.
Front desk: Yeah, right. Jason has a hat.
Jason: (laughs) Yeah. It blew away. It's windy outside.
Front desk: Nice try, Mr. Pretendo. SECURITY!


[Posted song: "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz]

9 comments:

TheOneTrueSue said...

Hee. Men who wear hats other than baseball caps always strike me as just a little bit insecure. Like - either you're trying to have a "thing" - a gimmick or what have you - or you're going bald.

Sarah said...

I think he's saying 'moment' instead of 'mormon'. It would make more sense that way anyway.

Kelly(M&M) said...

Just so you know, our wedding involved dancing and lots of it! I am from California and I always pictured our wedding as a big party. We had a DJ and it was a blast. Poor Jeff, I didn't want to leave my own party. :-) Jeff was nervous that his family would think dancing at a wedding would be weird (he is from Utah), but when the first fast song came on (Celebrate!), his brothers and sisters were the first ones on the floor busting a move. We had a great time and my favorite was his family doing YMCA. Good times! Everyone else was married in Utah and they say hands down our reception was the most fun. (It helps that they all rode in a plane together and visited Disneyland, Sea World and the beach while there!) SO, that is my long story about my wedding.

I am going to google the words too. :-) Love the song.

Jackie said...

for the longest time my mom thought us Mormons didn't believe in dancing because she never saw it done at a reception. I finally cleared that up, but I'm still working on the mormons-have-horns thing.

Nathalie Smith said...

You know we got down on my wedding day! :)
And even wore flip-flops...breakin all the rules.

Kristen said...

I had no clue who this guy OR his hat was, so I couldn't comment until my kids weren't napping.

Now the volume's up and I LOVE this song but didn't know who sang it.

My point? I don't know. But I love your post. =o)

Marcella said...

You are so funny Adhis! I do love Jason Mraz and it is TRUE that I have never seen a picture without him and his hat. Funny.

riteangle said...

Well, he wears a hat just so he doesn't have to bother with his hair. And honestly, Jason Mraz is probably as real as any singer can be. If you get to know him better, you'll learn that he's all himself. He isn't posing to be anyone, and he is fully dedicated to music and love. Maybe some people wouldn't be able to recognize him without the hat, but with or without the hat, his music would always be able to reach out to the souls of fans and strangers alike. Hopefully it'll touch you someday, too :)

ckuboushek78 said...

I know that when I was having my wedding reception done we had tons of dancing! I got lucky though, I didn't have to do any planning and we had a great wedding reception in utah. It's not every day you see one of those!