Custom Search

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Food, Oprah, and a Discount

I first mentioned it last year in July and then again last September. I'll mention the film again.

Oprah recently interviewed one of the food experts featured on Food, Inc., the highly-acclaimed (and highly controversial) film exposing many of the processes going into the production, pricing, and politics behind the American food system.

Here's part of the interview:
http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Food-Expert-Michael-Pollans-Food-Rules-Video

This was good timing for me! I've been having difficulty getting back to eating well since THE GREAT AND TERRIBLE NAUSEOUS TRIMESTER OF 2009. I've added back fruits and whole grain but am still having trouble with vegetables. The closest thing I have been doing to veggies is bowls and bowls of sugar with a side of sugar. (Yeah- that's how well I've been doing.) So, really, it was nice to see part of the interview and have my memory triggered in regards to some of the horrible side effects I experience from inhaling/eating/drinking/rolling in refined sugar.


(BTW, if you haven't seen the film, or if you'd like to see it again, here's a special offer:
Until 11:59 p.m. PST on Friday, January 29 (2010), you can buy Food, Inc. for only $9.99 at Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Inc-Eric-Schlosser/dp/B0027BOL4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1264445910&sr=8-1 )


===========
Too see what else was covered on the show, visit:

6 comments:

Wendy said...

LOVE that movie. Rebooted my healthy eating too. And thanks for the Amazon info!

Kelly(M&M) said...

As always, you are spot on!! I LOVED Food, Inc and I have been changing to organic as much as I can. I love how much more aware I am of what I eat. I will have to watch those interviews when it's not so late. Thanks for the info!

Kristen said...

I loved this link. His book sounds great. It's all the stuff I learned in a nutrition class at BYU. I'm happy that he's making it available to the general public!

The funny thing about what he said about food that doesn't rot - My dad (farmer) went to a series of conferences where the producers were trying to figure out how to make the public happy because consumers wanted a more CONVENIENT way to eat potatoes. Dried, mixes, pre-seasoned frozen, etc. The farmers would rather stay natural too - they're just trying to keep up.

I'm very wary of the Food, Inc film and its sensational nature. There are some distorted facts. But I love the Michael Pollan link above and hopefully the book will help a lot of people.

Just my two cents. =o) Gardens rule.

Adhis said...

I found some of the show's segments online today. (Probably won't be online forever.)

I love the topics covered in this segment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sTVwXcmCHo

Sarah said...

You can also get it on netflix. I'm making Whig watch it with me this weekend.

Jackie said...

seeing a picture of that cow really makes me hungry.