Custom Search

Sunday, December 20, 2009

I Latke Like That

Happy Hanukkah!
(Ok, so it ended already.) (Just in time for Christmas!)

Happy belated Hanukkah!
(That probably doesn't get said a lot considering someone has EIGHT DAYS to utter the greeting!)

As you know, I'm pregnant and useless, but I did muster up the energy to make latkes. A lotta latkes.

I used this simple recipe from a children's Hanukkah book I bought eons ago when I was a janitor for a local bookstore that accused me of stealing but only after the rumor had spread throughout the staff that I was a thief and I was oblivious to it because they never confronted me so I only heard about it through another janitor during her frustrated rant about my constant tardiness when she blurted out that "common fact." SO...

Here's the recipe!

A little messy-looking and non-circular this time, but good enough for this pregnant mama.

Latkes (Potato Pancakes)
5 medium potatoes

1 small onion
2 eggs
2 TB flour

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground pepper

Frying oil (not olive oil)

Paper towels


1. Peel potatoes. Rinse in cold water.

2. Grate potatoes into a bowl.

3. Peel onion. Grate it into potato mixture.

4. Pile mixture into a colander. Press down to remove as much liquid as possible. Pat dry with paper towel. Put vegetables into a dry bowl.
5. Beat eggs, then mix into the potato/onion mixture. Mix in the flour, salt and pepper.

6. Pour a little frying oil into a frying pan, wait until it is hot, then add a heaping spoonful of the mix, pressing it down with a spatula to make a flat pancake. Cook three or four at a time.
7. When the edges are brown, turn each latke over carefully and fry the other side. Both sides should be golden brown and crisp. Drain on the paper towels to get rid of any extra oil.


Repeat steps 6 & 7 until all the potato mixture is used up.

Serve at once with applesauce.

You will notice that these are indeed FRIED. You will catch me frying food MAYBE twice a year. Once for Hanukkah and once for frying plantains when I'm longing for a little bit of Venezuela.

Eat them with applesauce or sour cream or whatever. We liked them plain this year and ate them as a side to our dinner.

Es gezunterheyt!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

You can't go wrong with potatoes.

Unless you serve them with applesauce. I know, I'm closed minded there but I didn't know they're eaten like THAT.

Kristen said...

Oops I hit enter too soon. I do plan on making them tonight - sans applesauce. Thanks for the recipe, I'm intrigued.

Utah_Dave said...

They're great with and without the applesauce! Try it with the applesauce, Kristen!

Jackie said...

I love them the white trash way, with ketchup.