Custom Search

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

How to say goodbye


How do you say goodbye to your child?





You first say "hello" and hold him in Today. And again, if you get another Today.
But if you must, say, "I will miss you terribly, but I will see you again soon."


And when you miss him much, send your mind to a happy memory together for where the mind goes, the body follows.


And when your heart aches, let someone who loves you hold you and know that they act on behalf of the one you miss.


And when the longing is too much, pray for understanding that it is only time, and not distance, that asks you to wait.


And let others mourn with you. And let others laugh with you. And let others rejoice with you.


How do you say goodbye to your child?


You say "hello" and hold them in Today. And again, if a Today comes again.


And if you must, say, "I will miss you, but I will see you again soon."


~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~


Chris is missed by his parents, 5 siblings, grandparents, nieces and nephews, and friends anxious to see him again soon.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

:-(

Kristen said...

I would trade the distance for the time if I could.

That was beautifully written. I hope you make a copy of it and ALL your photos for the family. Now.

You just changed my whole day. Thanks for the reminder.

islandgirl said...

This reminded me of one of my favorite movies, I Dreamed of Africa, on burying her son she said this, "To bury a husband was hard. To bury my son is against nature..." Thank you for your beautiful post.

sarahandtim said...

How absolutely devastating it is to lose a loved one. Thankfully we have the promise of futures together in another life.