Custom Search

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Rest for Julie

Julie Johnson Stout passed away today, Sunday, July 19, at 1PM.
She leaves behind her husband (Brandon) and four children (Hiram, Avalon, Benjamin and James) ages 10 to 1.


Julie was pregnant with her fourth child, James, when she began exhibiting a list of weird symptoms, including memory loss and fatigue. When these were brought up to her doctor, they were explained away as "pregnancy-related," except for her gradual vision loss. In her last trimester, she was diagnosed with a brain tumor.

Julie delivered a healthy boy in August of 2007. A few days later, she had several seizures that left her without memory of having given birth or of having a tumor.

I last saw her at Thanksgiving Point this past May. In the first few seconds that I spotted her, I wasn't really sure it was her due to her changed appearance, and I asked, "Julie?" Her friend responded affirmatively. Dave mentioned that while I was talking to her friend, Julie pointed at me and said my name a few times, proving that she remembered.


As I look at her photos from just a couple years back and compare them to recent ones, I am struck by the changes in her physical appearance in such a short amount of time. Amazing what mortality imposes on us. For most of us, the changes are subtle, taking place over bundles of years. Julie's changes were accelerated and remind me that we are indeed here temporarily. We truly do not know the length of our individual missions and cannot assume that we have decades available to serve them well. Life on Earth feels like it will never end and yet it does, leading to the next phase.

Julie rests now from her physical body as we continue on for now. Prayers of comfort to those who miss her terribly and ache to hug her again.

UPDATE: Brandon posted about the day Julie died here.

8 comments:

Kelly(M&M) said...

Wow. This post truly spoke to my heart today. My dad passed away from a brain tumor and it was so difficult watching his body deteriorate so quickly. His mind was still there and we were able to enjoy some great moments, even at the end. My heart is with this family even though I have never met them. I can't imagine what her husband is going through, but I truly believe he has extra angels to comfort him. Today in church the talks were on eternal perspective. What a great reminder. Thanks Adhis. Love you!

Jenny said...

I remember her and I'm so sad for her family especially her husband and kids. Thank you for this post, So sad but I'm glad she is free of pain and I know our Father in Heaven has a plan for all of us and I know her family will be comforted during this time.

Kat said...

Such a good post. Thank you. :)

sharibug said...

You spoke to me with memories of my own. I watched my husband change over the five years left of his life. We enjoyed some very special moments as a family, never to be forgotten. My children are better people because of what we went through. Myself included. I am grateful that he no longer suffers, but as a mortal, I will forever miss him in this life. He was my knight in shining armor and still he is in my thoughts daily, and it has been now 16 years. Earthly time is but a moment in eternity. I am grateful for the gospel to be able to know he is not lost to me forever. It was hard to raise my children on my own, but the Lord blessed us everyday that we went through our trial. He was very much aware of us and blessed us abundantly. I do not know this family, but my heart goes out to them, and prayers.

Adhis said...

I've updated the blog post to include a link to Brandon's description of Julie's last moments.

Jackie (updated profile) said...

:-(

Kristen said...

You are a sweet friend Adhis. What a tribute to her.

bananaberry128 said...

no words.....