Custom Search

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Token of Loaf

As a result of an allergy skin test done on me recently (which I will post about this coming week), I have been cutting down on sugar and cheese. Many of you may think this is a ridiculous step for me because you know that I don't keep treats in the house. I'm the future grandchild's nightmare.

"Grandma, can I have a cookie?"
"Here, have a cucumber."

When I want a treat, I either have to make one or be at the grocery store when the craving hits.

This afternoon, I was craving something. I made myself a smoothie that tastes like ice cream. While it was delicious, it didn't take the craving away. I considered an IsaDelight chocolate but realized what I wanted was a cake-y texture. I was too tired to make a cake and decided to take a nap and give the craving a chance to pass.

About 15 minutes later, someone knocked at the door. I don't always answer the door if I'm upstairs and was about to ignore the knock when I heard in my mind "opportunity knocks," so I groggily went downstairs and opened the door. Standing there was my new neighbor Rick, a single man living in the house behind mine, holding a package.

He began with "I just made some banana bread," and I seriously felt overcome, wanting to cry. I wanted cake and the Lord said, "Ok, here is some cake." In addition, I was touched in regards to the person He chose to deliver it.

This is the new neighbor who last week had to hop over our dog's poop in HIS YARD when he was mowing his lawn because our dog's new tie-out was several feet longer than the old broken one, allowing Indy about 4 feet of access into Rick's yard. (Dave and I happened to be looking out the window when our neighbor had a close call with a little brown rainbow, realized what had been happening, and committed to remedy it, but it had probably been happening for a few weeks. ) This is the neighbor who daily gets onto his motorcycle in his driveway to the soundtrack of Yappy Yapster's Greatest Yips (from just two feet away from his own feet until recently). This is the same neighbor who was presently standing before me offering forgiveness and charity through a homemade loaf of banana bread!

Rick thanked me for caring enough to shorten our dog's reach into his property. What? WE should have been bringing HIM a treat! I asked him if he had baked some of our dog's droppings into the bread. He chuckled and said, "It's the secret ingredient!" (May I add that his banana bread was not only surprisingly delicious for being made by a man [yes, totally chauvinist of me], but it was really the best tasting banana bread I have had in years!)

I am again in awe. Through seemingly small means the Lord shows his children He is thinking of them. How often do I need to be reminded?

I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me, confused at the grace that so fully He proffers me. Oh, it is wonderful that He should care for me enough to send cake for me! Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!

[Posted song: "I Stand All Amazed"]

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Awwww...that is awesome. I'm going to go upstairs and wish for a shake from JCW's...

Jackie (updated profile) said...

Bahh! I've had a hankering all day for chocolate chip cookies, and nothing has showed up yet. I'll send my cat over to poop in a neighbors yard.

Jackie (updated profile) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said...

Best banana bread you've had in years? Lets see, it's been a few years since we moved away, so that's about right. =o)

Our neighbor's dog ate our pet bunny. He came back for seconds the next day. And I'm the jerk for calling the police? (We bought a gun the next weekend too.) Don't worry, Indy, he was an illegal dog. We haven't seen him since.

islandgirl said...

Go Rick, how cool is that!