Custom Search

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Love of the Sport

Pretty much sums up how I feel about bowling...

video

I have this tolerance/hate relationship with bowling. The main thing against bowling is that I hate things I suck at.

In softball, you don't have to run with perfect technique to get to a base, you just run. In volleyball, you can set the ball funky and someone with a stronger arm corrects the damage. In almost any sport, there is room for variables and mistakes for one to be able to enjoy playing a game.

But in bowling... you keep your arm straight, line up with the arrows on the floor, and visualize the ball going down the center and -STILL- the ball gutters. You can't blame it on the sun in your eye, or because someone was chasing you, or because the ball unexpectedly came at you. If you have a bad game, it's because you suck and, asides getting the bumpers up, there is no apparent way to get better at bowling. I'm not trying to play professionally; I'm just trying to get through a night with friends and family!

So, of course, isn't it perfect fate that I married a man who has his own bowling ball (engraved with his name), his own bowling shirt, his own bowling shoes, and his own bowling ball luggage that accommodates TWO bowling balls? (One space was supposed to be for his future wife's engraved ball. Eight years into our marriage and the second cavity remains empty.)

Because of my incompatibility with bowling, it has been a while since David has taken out his equipment... as apparent here by the spider eggs on the underside of his ball carrier. (Or maybe they're little spider bowling balls?) We discovered them right before entering the bowling alley for my niece's 4th birthday party on Monday.


When I go bowling, there are 3 for-sures:
1) I will get one strike and/or spare
2) I will throw at least 3 gutter balls
3) I will break a nail

Yesterday:
1) check
2) check
3) check


Now, you know that if ever I bowl with you, it's because I really REALLY like you!


7 comments:

Sarah said...

That sounds just like me. Except I always cut my middle finger with my thumbnail right after I release the ball. I should wear tape on it or something.

Lyns said...

I have to say that I completely agree with you. It is the most frustrating sport. In fact, I took a bowling class in college and was voted most inconsistent. I'd rather be mediocre than hit a strike followed by a gutter ball. Seriously.

Heidi said...

Sounds like you ladies all need to do a little Wii bowling - it can make the worse bowler in the world feel like a pro.

I took bowling classes. Yup. I like to threaten people with that before we go. Then they see me in action and say, "YOU took bowling classes. Wow. You should ask for your money back!"

(Gra)Ma Adhis said...

THESE pictures turned out GREAT.
The girls did have fun. :D

TheOrttFamily said...

Your a great Bowler Adhis...I have been with ya..That must mean you REALLY like me!!yippie

islandgirl said...

I don't know, I sort of like bowling, lol! Not for the sport, just for fun though!

Kristen said...

I like personal sports. I was always the hard hitter that had to fix everyone else's bad hits. HAHAHA. Just kidding. Kind of. I'd rather crash and burn because of my own folly.

In my bowling class at BYU, it was the closest I came to not getting an A. Would have lost my scholarship if I hadn't bowled the game of my life on the final. My dear fiance at the time claims it was because of his prayers. I guess it's a team sport after all!