Custom Search

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Baby's 1st Birthday

She is one today.


(Her conception: here.)
(Her birth: here.)

What do I love most about her?
Her smile.
It doesn't take much to receive a big smile from her. She is happiness and spreads much of it about. I love her so very much and ache at times when I think about her happy little soul embarking on her journey through this not-so-kind world. I hope she will always feel inspired to smile.

Her birthday party... well... wow... I totally... yeah.


I stayed up WAY TOO LATE the night before and then had so much difficulty waking up that morning. Baby Adhis' birthday party started at 1130am.

At 1129am:
  • the potatoes were baking in the oven
  • my husband was JUST coming home from the store getting some items I forgot the day before
  • the kitchen was in chaos (sink and counters full of dirty dishes, mixing bowls, pans)
  • the cake was chilling in the fridge from recently being finished
  • the barbecue grill was still cold and dirty
  • the streamers and balloons were sitting in a box on the kitchen table
  • my hair was disheveled in a clip and my makeup was not on
  • I was stressed out and tired

At 1130am:
  • my sister and her family arrived

At 11:31am:
  • my sister and her husband were put to work, inflating balloons, hanging streamers, and all the things that could and should have been done the day before
  • the 3-year-old niece was put to work applying stickers onto drinking cups
  • David was wiping off the grill cleaner and starting up the grill
  • I was cleaning the kitchen and putting the dog away

FORTUNATELY, and I won't say this often, everyone else was 30 minutes late, so everything looked ready to them.

As I was pulling the cake out of the fridge, I accidentally made sure to smash the back of it against a refrigerator shelf.


One of the things I loved most about her birthday party was watching Baby Dhis get distracted from digging into the mass confection before her by spontaneous singing in the room.

video

Next year, I will be wiser about the time I spend in preparation for her celebration. I am just thankful that this year she didn't know what a pony was.

1. Were you married at the time of the birth?
Yes, for 7 years. We just wanted to remove all suspicion that we married because of a premarital pregnancy.
2. What were your reactions when you found out you were pregnant?
I knew I was going to be pregnant a couple minutes before I got pregnant, so my reaction was "What? Really? Am I ready to do this?"
3. How old were you?
32 when I got pregnant
4. How did you find out you were pregnant?
I had an overwhelming tingly, burning sensation from head to toe.
5. Who did you tell first?
Dave, but he didn't realize I was telling him. He thought I was just having a melt-down and rambling. I told him straight out a couple of weeks later.
6. Did you want to find out the sex?
We already knew the baby was a girl.
7. Due date:
May 24th
8. Did you deliver child early or late?
On May 26th (Memorial Day in 2008)
9. Did you have morning sickness?
Nausea but no vomiting
10. What did you crave?
ice cream, gummy worms, Doritos
11. Who irritated you the most?
The baby. She kept making me nauseous, making my back hurt and my feet swell.
Other than that, I wasn't really irritated by anyone.
12. What is her birth order?
First birthchild
13. How many pounds did you gain throughout the pregnancy?
30-35 lbs, but everyone kept telling me how little I looked. My pants knew better.
14. Did you have any complications during your pregnancy?
In the first trimester, I bled for a few weeks but it turned out to be benign.
15. Where did you give birth to your child?
Orem, UT
16. How many hours were you in labor?
I don't know because I didn't feel "in labor" until I went to the hospital to get the OK to soak in my tub. I think I was in blissful denial.
17. Who drove you to the hospital?
David
18. Who watched?
David. I watched in a mirror; I'm not sure if the doctor did. He may have been texting someone at the time.
19. Did you take medicine to ease the pain?
I did but wish I hadn't. She would have been born earlier into the hospital stay.
20. How much did she weigh?
6lbs 9oz
21. Why did you name her the name you picked?
Her first name means "new" and her middle name is "guide" or "compass." She will be a leader in her generation.
22. Who was the first person you called?
I don't remember. I was just chillin'.
23. Who were your first visitors?
My parents visited before her birth and then came back with pizza after the birth. Hooray for food!


Happy Birthday, Baby Adhis!
I love you so very, very much!

7 comments:

Aubrey said...

I can't believe she's ONE!! Time flies, doesn't it??

She's a beautiful little girl, just like her momma! What a fun party and a beautiful cake!! :)

Jackie (updated profile) said...

Adorable. I remember how tiny you looked when you were pregnant, I have resented you ever since.

JennyFer said...

Happy Birthday, very cute in her dress and crown :)

Kristen said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! And I even remembered on my own. Not that you believe me, since it's posted here for the world. Hmph.

She's a DOLL.

As far as the not-quite-preparedness of the party - welcome to parenthood! You could have thrown a perfect bash for the child if it weren't for the... child. =o) I'm sure you were absolutely successful in your party endeavors. Beautiful party, super mom!

Lyns said...

Great Party! I can't believe she's already one! She's adorable.

The Silvia Family said...

Happy Birthday! What a cutie.

Don't worry. Once they figure the whole birthday thing out you will be planning for the next one all year. Ben turns 8 in July. His party has been planned (3 times) since he turned 7.

Amannda Ashby said...

You made it an entire year, Congrats!

Looks like the party was perfect! Funny how what is perfect in our mind isn't usaully how things go.

She will have wonderful pictures to remind her how much her parents love her.