Custom Search

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Oldie but Goodie

I just threw away the Rubbermaid container I lent Dave when we were dating. It was clear with a light blue lid, his last name (now also mine) in faded blue permanent ink. I wrote his name on it 9 years ago. The lid got a crack in it. I had to toss it. Aah, the memories.

On the other hand, I still have this...


The first time I saw it was in my mom's bathroom when I was 6. I found it while getting into her makeup bag. (Do you know what happened in the early '80s when little girls got into makeup bags? Let's just say it involved copious amounts of blue eyeshadow.) This lovely artifact used to have a comb on the backside of the brush, but the teeth broke off some years ago.

I say "Awwww." Dave says. "Ew."

I attempted to replace the eyebrow brush about 5 years ago. We had bought a new home, and hey, why not get a new eyebrow brush along with it. SO GLAD I held on to my antique one because the new one broke within a week. Something about not being able to withstand the hefty lusciousness of my brows. I stuck with my oldie but goodie.

"Why didn't you just go out and buy anoth---"

HUSH, BLOG READER!

Are you having trouble getting past the hornets' nest of bacteria I brush across my eyebrows on a daily basis? You might as well know I use the same make-up sponge for months to apply foundation to my skin. I thought nothing of this until a few weeks ago when my friend Amy came to my house to give me a makeover. As soon as I grabbed my trusty makeup sponge, I felt her cringe.

"This is grossing you out, isn't it?"

"Yeah. You're supposed to toss those or wash them after every use."

She refused to commence with the makeover until I supplied her with a new, clean sponge.

Amy knew about my eyebrow brush relic. She also knew I'd been using a disposable eyelash brush from six years ago. And she knew I was using the cheek blush I purchased in middle school. Not the same color I wore then, THE ACTUAL ONE I PURCHASED. I'm sure she marveled at how my skin remained clear and how I hadn't yet lost an eye to infection.

I'm not sure why I have had trouble considering the disposal of the eyebrow brush circa 1979. It reminds me of simpler times. It was my mom's when all I knew was about little girlhood. It symboliz---

OoooooooH!

Amy pulled out a fancy schmancy eyebrow crush brush.

It brushes, it combs, it lines! I imagined its streamline design transforming my makeup drawer. I would use it in the morning whilst donning an Audrey Hepburn up-do, a little black sheath dress, and long-satin gloves. My miniature pink poodle would watch me contentedly as her tail wagged in time to chic French lounge music.

I could totally see my daughter treasuring it. And her daughter. And her daughter. This brush would stand the test of time and bless my progeny.

Hmmm...


Every good thing must come to an end.

I took a photo of my ancient brush; It will last longer.
Maybe.

Sexy!

10 comments:

sarahandtim said...

i'm a total packrat, too! loooove the new chic brush, great that it is multi-purpose, too. digging this unibrow look on you.

reminds me of the time that my sister and i started doing makeovers on each other. one slip of the eyeliner was all it took and it became a make-up war. if i recall correctly, huge thick eyebrows, unibrows and flourishing mustaches ensued. it was awesome.

Jackie (updated profile) said...

I have my moms nail clippers that she had when she was young. Totally funky.

Sarah said...

Me-ow! Your unibrow is hot hot hot!

Englishfam said...

Thanks for the laugh Adhis!

Kristen said...

Are you sure it wasn't just a toothbrush?

Amannda Ashby said...

I have a desposable tooth brush that I got when I worked at an orthodantist at four or five years ago. I am sure that I could replace it, but if it is still doing the job of getting all the eyebrow hairs in a row why get rid of a good thing. I would hope that I wouldn't get replaced just because I wasn't as fancy as I was at one time. It's good to keep things that still work, but it dosen't hurt to give them a good wash every know and then. I started using a new sponge a lot more often after attedning Amy's class. It's good to be educated. I didn't even think about the bacteria until being informed that it may be groiwng! Sometimes I hate being informed!

Sara Lynes said...

Thanks for the fun read. I would stick the old one on a shelf "just in case". Ya know. Things just aren't made like they used to be. My parents had a mustard colored washer and dryer for over 20 years before they had to replace them.

Kat said...

I hear you on using the same sponge. I can't stand the idea of wasting it until it starts to fall apart. :) My sister would cringe if she was reading this as she use to sell make-up too. LOL. But, it all works for me too. Love the unibrow look. Good luck with the new brush.

tHe DaViS FaMiLY said...

Going For The Frida Look?

Adhis said...

Only on Frida Fridays!