Custom Search

Thursday, January 8, 2009

One Month

Yeah, so since I've known Mariah (4+ years now?), she has always been dabbling in some sort of crazy science or social experiment. Really. (I can already hear Mariah laughing and saying "what??!" when she reads this.) Yeah, really.

The experiment that got her to finally venture into the blog world is her No More Grocery Shopping experiment in which she prepped to store enough food to sustain her family of six without grocery shopping for one month. AND SHE DOESN'T EVEN HUNT!

Well, it turns out she and her family survived without developing scurvy. There were a few messes made along the way, but that's to be expected when you're nuts. (Wink.) Her experiment began here. And she's thinking about doing it AGAIN.

Enough about her. Now about me, me, ME!

(cue choir of angels)


So, I decided to copy her.
Sort of.

I didn't prepare or meditate or clean or make room for the experiment.
I just wrote up some meals that I thought would last for the month and then went shopping. Probably not the BEST strategy to just jump in and starve the family in the name of copy-cat science, but really, it's just me and The Dave. Baby Dhis only needs formula and water to survive. That's easy to stock up on. (HELLO! Look at all the snow outside!) And the dog, well, let's just say that his Kotex days have proven that he's not a very picky eater. (Oh, yeah. I went THERE.)

Anyway, it's the first month, so obviously, I went for easy so as not to overwhelm myself trying to balance macronutrients and variety.


And then, while at the store, I thought, "Might as well get all the fruits and vegetables for the snacks and salads." So, I did. Spinach, green leaf and romaine. Bell peppers, onions, asparagus, and a bag of potatoes. Bananas, tangerines, oranges, grapes, and two kinds of apples.

Yeah.


New rule: going back for fresh produce every two weeks is acceptable.
I don't have a farm. (HELLO! Look at all the snow outside!)

So it is January 8th, and I think we're doing ok. Check back with me on January 28th when we're rationing garbanzos and eating imagination sandwiches.

And if you see The Dave smuggling pizzas, totally call him on it. In the name of science.

7 comments:

chelon:) said...

good for you! i could never do anything like that...nor would i ever choose to do anything like that ;) i will just take your word for it! good luck.

btw....if you separate your bananas, they don't ripe as fast!!

Kat said...

Good luck with that! I'll check in with you to see how it's going. :)

Kristen said...

Is this the same Adhis that thought a Depression (with a capital D) would be fun? Hmmm.

Ben and his friend tried to give themselves scurvy in junior high. I guess it didn't work. Go figure.

Kristen said...

ps - Tell Dave you can STORE a mega supply of ingredients to MAKE pizza, without needing to go to the store!

Tracey said...

Very good idea. Freeze those bananas and other fruit before it takes the last turn. I use frozen fruit in a lot of things. Also, you can make delicious smoothies with frozen or almost overripe fruit to get your money's worth and vitamins.

Jackie (updated profile) said...

Kotex!!!? When I read that, I choked on my own vomit(and laughed at the same time.)
Moving right along...we have saved a lot of money totally planning out our menu, then slashing our tires so we can't get desperate and run to Cafe Rio.

sarahandtim said...

What a beautiful photo of you, Adhis!