Custom Search

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Easy Meals

I love my local hometownish grocery store. They often have sales revolving around themes and often address the interests of the community.

Here, they offer suggestions for easy meals during the rush-rush of the holiday season.


Seems helpful enou-- wait a minute--




Pizza? Check.



Lasagna? Check.

Bread? Uh... not a meal, but ok, you can make sandwiches. Semi-check.



Cereal? Well, sure... why not. Check.


Shampoo? Conditioner?

Ok, it may be easy to prepare, but will it leave my stomach shiny and touchably soft?


I guess in tough economic times, we all gotta make tough economic choices.

Here is a FOR-REAL easy meal, high on flavor, low on suds.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------



Mexican Rice and Veggie Skillet
(from Pillsbury's Easy Vegetarian Meals)


1 (15oz.) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5oz) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 (10oz.) can mild enchilada sauce (or whatever degree of heat you prefer)
1 cup water
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1½ cups uncooked instant brown rice

a) In large nonstick skillet, combine all ingredients except rice; mix well. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 18-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, stirring occasionally. (Oops. Just realized I've never stirred it.)

b) Remove skillet from heat. Fluff mixture with fork. If desired, add salt and pepper to taste. (I don't think it needs salt and pepper.)

Yields: 4 (1½-cup) servings

I serve this with warm flour or wheat tortillas and shredded cheddar.
Enjoy sorbet for dessert.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Duh Adhis, haven't you ever heard of the Shampoo Detox Diet? It's all the rage in Europe. I think Oprah's doing a show about it next month.

Kristen said...

I MISS MACEYS!!! The last time we were in Ogden and we passed one, I tried to get Ben to stop there. For some reason, he thought it would be weird to buy groceries out of state. Hmph.

Meal sounds yummy. I'll have to pick up some enchilada sauce first. Thanks! I've wondered what you eat. Apparently not shampoo.

Nathalie Smith said...

You should send that to Jay Leno's Monday headlines! He would get a kick out of it too!

chelon:) said...

haha! i too miss macy's, albertson's and even smith's!

thanks for the recipe :)

The Silvia Family said...

Glad I'm not the only one missing Macey's!

Harmony said...

Hello? You are totally FAMOUS (i.e "navel gazing at it's finest") and PUBLISHED. And I KNOW you....oh wait, I don't.

Um, I KNOW Sarah who KNOWS you.

Basically I am famous.

Congrats!

Kat said...

I love Macey's. That ad is hilrious! Who knew that shampoo is such a good meal. I know it smells good, but I never bothered to taste it. Hmmmmm, nope, still not interested. :)