Custom Search

Friday, December 5, 2008

Bouncing Baby Girl

If you haven't heard already or seen my tired face...

At 6-months old, I decided it was time for Baby Dhis to start her 'stunt baby' training. Yesterday, I was walking down the stairs carrying BabyDhis in my left arm and her car seat in my right hand. Then, I tripped.

I used my left hand to reach for the banister to catch myself. The next thing I found myself thinking was "Is that a doll?" as I watched a little body bounce off the steps.

I watched her fall, bounce off a step, flip upside-down, bounce onto the top of her head, twist sideways, bounce off another step, roll off the bottom step and land on her back with a thud. She then emitted a WHATTHEFETCHWASTHAT! scream.

I was incredulous at first, but as I absorbed what had happened, I began imagining what the damage might be. Not a good thing.

I cried and screamed, "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!" as I ran down the stairs and tears flooded my face. I dropped the car seat and scooped the screaming baby. It took me a minute or two to realize I was the one screaming the loudest. I tried calling David on the phone, but my hand was shaking. The dog was worked up and was jumping up and down snapping at my arm with the baby. It was a House of Hysterics.

I got a hold of a nurse at the pediatrician's office and brought BabyDhis in. She was checked out and there was no serious injury detected. I was given instructions on what to look for (scream of pain when moved, unable to be woken up, swelling) and what not to do (no Tylenol or pain medicine; they want to know how much pain she's in). Additionally, I was given instruction to wake up twice in the middle of the night and check on her to make sure she was still breathing (assuming I was going to be able to sleep).

Dhis ended up being fine but cranky and sore all day. I was physically and emotionally drained and in need of sleep for the rest of the day.

On top of the times I checked on her last night, Baby Dhis woke me up twice, but I wasn't annoyed at all. I was just glad she was breathing and alive.

19 comments:

TDawgYo said...

Oh my goodness! I'm glad that she's fine, I'm sure you're more traumatized than she is.

Kristen said...

I'm so sorry. I'm sure you'll see that scene in your head over and over again. Clumsy moments can turn pretty scary for moms. It's amazing how resilient their tiny bodies can be. I'm so glad she's okay - you too!

What a darling picture. Get some rest!

Kimmers said...

Wow I am so sorry!! I hope that everything is okay. I am glad that both of you are okay and well. PLease let me know if you need anything.

Heidi said...

Wow. My jaw is on the table. That is so scary! I am so glad you are both doing fine.

Aubrey said...

SO SCARY! I'm so glad that she is ok! I can only imagine how you were/are feeling. I have another friend, who's baby is about the same age, fell down 14 stairs and landed on tile-miraculously, she is PERFECT. The power of the preisthood, baby! Its amazing!

Marie said...

Oh wow, Adhis . . . So glad everyone is okay!

chelon:) said...

good thing she won't remember any of it!! i am sure you are definitely more traumatized than her! glad that you both are well :)

Kat said...

I am so glad to hear that you are both doing good. That is so scary! For that reason, I hate stairs. I'm glad that you are well, let me know if you need anything!

Sara Lynes said...

OH my gosh!!! I would have reacted the same way. That was tramatic just to read and to imagine!!! I am tramatised now and hope I can sleep tonight. We all have something like that happen at some time. I am glad she is ok.

bananaberry128 said...

wehw! u should b a writer. every moment u articulate, im right there with you.
some day the picture will leave your head.
until then vodka by transfution.

sarahandtim said...

AH! Glad baby Dhis is fine. This happens to all babies at one point or another. That probably doesn't make you feel any better. She'll turn out just fine I'm sure!

Jenny said...

Oh my gosh, how scary, glad you are both doing okay.

Jennica said...

Oh no! You and Kristen have my heart racing tonight!!!! I am glad all the babies are well. Now I have to hold Levi all night and make sure to be extra careful going up anf down the stairs.

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue said...

Um.... Sorry, ignore me. I lost my sense of humor earlier tonight. I'm glad your daughter is o.k.

Adhis said...

Naah- I understand. I should have been in bed hours ago sleeping off this cold. Under better circumstances, I would have been able to better formulate a joke that was actually funny.

Anderegg & Co. said...

So fun to see you today. I miss you guys! You are a great mom...but I do hate those moments of relapse. Like I told you today, it hasn't been easy, but I'm a better person for it. I am definitely a better mom today than I was with my first. Thank goodness the Lord is so forgiving!

kristen said...

Hope everything is okay with the bab. She is such a doll. We wouldn't want to see anything happen to her. Scary moments make you relize how fortunate we are to have the little ones in our lives.

michele said...

I am so sorry that happened. You are a great mom!! There is not anyone that can control accidents from happening. Have a great Christmas Season!!
P.S. Dhis is beautiful.