Custom Search

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

President Barack Obama

"Who's that?"

He's the president.

"President to what country? The Bahamas? India? Zimbabwe?"

Nope, the United States.

"Are you sure? All presidents from the U.S. are named Bill or George or John."


You've gotta admit it sounds kind of... different. It's a reflection that the United States truly is a big old salad of various cultures, histories, and peoples.

Wow. This was a landmark election, the first time we faced the choice between a woman and a minority in the White House. That is amazing. And about time.

In a Larry King interview with comedian Chris Rock, King asked Rock if he was proud that there was a black man running for president. Rock responded: "I'm proud Barack Obama's running for president. You know? If it was Flavor Flav, would I be proud? No. I don't support Barack Obama because he's black."

I, too, don't think Obama's skin color is why he got voted in. My opinion since last year has been that the U.S. was not going to put another Republican in office this term. Obama got voted in because he was 1) NOT McCain and 2) NOT Republican. It's the cycle of our country. Its citizens get fed up with the realities of life and blame whatever party is in control at the time.

In 8th grade U.S. History, I learned that the cycle of war and economy is about 20 years. Despite this, people still point the finger at the man in the Oval Office for the bad luck. Worked out for Obama. Not so much for McCain.

I feel sadness for McCain. Even if he saw it coming and even if it's part of the game, it still has to be hard to be rejected on a national scale. He delivered a fantastic speech in the end.



Well, life goes on.

7 comments:

Lyns said...

Gotta tell you. I agree with the fact that the reason Obama won was because he was NOT Republican. People wanted something different than what we had, and this is certainly it. Is it better? Time will tell, but it's a big task. It may well be a big launching pad for a Repubiclan President in 2012! And another thing, I do find it funny that presidents get credit for the way the economy is when they're in office. Ridiculous. :)

On another note, I would have taken a picture of the poll lines for you today, but there weren't any! I was in and out in 5 minutes so it would have been a pretty boring picture.

Lyns said...

Just to add to my other comment. Is Repubiclan a word? :)

michele said...

WOW!! Is all I have to say. Obama really?

Adhis said...

You're not really surprised, are you? It has been obvious for a long, long time that he was going to win the election.

Nathalie Smith said...

All white people report to the cotton fields tomorrow morning at 7:00 am for orientation.

LOL. Just kidding.

Sara Lynes said...

Ok so is Natalie the funniest girl ever. You totally made me lol! Good thing we are in Utah. Ain't no cotton fields round here.
Seriously though. I am glad that even though I don't agree with Obama, that our country has come this far. Really look what 50 years has done for all Americans.

Sara Lynes said...

Ok so is Natalie the funniest girl ever. You totally made me lol! Good thing we are in Utah. Ain't no cotton fields round here.
Seriously though. I am glad that even though I don't agree with Obama, that our country has come this far. Really look what 50 years has done for all Americans.