Custom Search

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

High School

Flash back with me!

1. Did you date someone from your school? I dated while in school. I didn't want to be anyone's girlfriend, but I thought saying "no" would hurt their feelings. (This guy was the nicest guy ever! EVERYONE loved him. I thought he was "too nice." Funny, though, David has the same personality as this guy. I guess nice guys do get the girl. Well, a different nice guy. A different girl.)

2. What kind of car did you drive? I didn't drive in high school. I got my license when I was 20. But in high school I got to ride with friends in some pretty interesting rides, including a Ford Maverick spray-painted in camo, a beautiful restored 1950-something car (my car knowledge is mind-blowing, I know), and a hearse.

3. Did you pass your driver's license test on the first try? Uh, yeah. 20. Hello?

4. Were you a party animal? I was a heavy metal headbanger and hung out with garage bands doing silly stuff. My friends and I were in a group self-dubbed "The Ugly Reich." Fun fun! I wish I would have taken more photos in high school; I have nary a photo of the Ugly Reich. (This one is a partial group photo from the yearbook where we convinced the school that we were an official club. Ha-ha! It was too late before anyone was the wiser. Ah... good times.)

5. Were you considered a flirt? Yes, but *I* didn't think I was a flirt. I was boy-crazy and boy-shy at the same time.

6. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? Excuze me???

7. Were you a nerd? No. Most people don't qualify as true high school nerds. I was one of those who didn't really obey clique rules. If I wanted to talk with you, I did. I just liked people. Maybe I was clueless more than anything.

8. Were you on any varsity teams? I kinda forgot all about sports once I got into JROTC; they provided all the exercise I could ever want. (I still have the t-shirt in this photo.)
9. Did you get suspended/expelled? No. I was once suspended by a rope on a rappelling trip with JROTC, but that was about it.

10. Can you still sing the fight song? What fight song? I went to one pep rally in my entire high school career; for the rest of them, I either hung out with garage band members who lived close to the school or hung out in the JROTC trailer practicing marksmanship.

11. Who were your favorite teachers? Major Best (JROTC), Mrs. Craig (newspaper)

12. Where did you sit during lunch? In the booths part of the year and outside the rest of the year.

13. What is your school's full name? Cape Coral High School (in Florida)

14. School mascot and colors? Seahawk; orange and blue (because you know everyone looks good in orange)





15. Did you go to Homecoming and who with? Didn't go. (But this was my photo in the yearbook for Homecoming Week. I don't remember what the theme was that day, but this was my interpretation of it.)I turned down invites to Homecoming due to aforementioned boy-shyness. I always wished my parents would just have told me I wasn't allowed to date, so I could have rattled off that excuse without stumbling over my words.

16. If you could go back and do it again, would you? Yeah. I had a lot of fun!

17. What do you remember most about graduation? It was freaking humid and hot. I was sweating in a wool dress under the graduation gown, and I had heavier hair back then. The other thing I remember is seeing an ex-boyfriend after the ceremony (the one in the first photo above) who had graduated the prior year and giving him a hug. I had ended things so meanly.

18. Where did you go senior skip day? I think I went to a new boyfriend's house to watch a movie. That's when I learned he was an octopus. That relationship didn't last long.

19. Were you in any clubs? JROTC, newspaper, National Honor Society, and a few other clubs that I participated in for a short time. One of the short-term clubs I was in was headed by the police officer on-site. We had a meeting during school in the cafeteria and the friend of a boyfriend I had then saw me there and told my boyfriend. He dumped me that day because he thought I was an undercover cop and was sure I was going to bust him and his friends for drugs. THAT was the weirdest break-up E.VER.

20. Have you gained some weight since then? Hard to say. I've put on more fat, but I have less hair now, so it probably evens out on the scale.

21. Who was your prom date? Joe, a friend from newspaper and AP classes. Joe was a type-A planning kind of guy, so I thought it would be funny to tell him all week prior to prom that I couldn't find a dress that fit me. I don't know why I like to torture people so.

22. Are you planning on going to your 10 year reunion? Did not go. My 15-year reunion is this weekend. Not going. My 20-year reunion is in 5 years. Might go.

23. Did you have a job while in high school? No. I was in AP and honors classes and too many clubs. And, oh yeah, I didn't have permission to work in the U.S.

I only did this tag so I could have an excuse to post old photos of me. (I learned two things: (1) I need to get these photos out of the old static adhesive albums, and (2) my scanner is dirty!)

I bet you wish you knew me then! Lucky you, you know me now!

[Posted song: "Rock n' Roll High School" by Ramones]

8 comments:

Heidi said...

LOVE the pictures! I forget how much HAIR people had back then. Nothing beats a sweet mullet!

Aubrey said...

Am I the only one that doesn't know what you meant by "he was an octopus"?

Kikibug said...

LOVED seeing all of these pictures. The sickening thing is that you don't look much different. I can't believe how big your hair was... hahaha Who didn't in the 80;s-early 90's/

Adhis said...

Kiki-- yeah, I think AquaNet's stock plummeted after the mid-90's.

Aubrey-- an octopus is all arms. When I thought I had swatted a hand away, another one popped up. And another and another and another.

TheOrttFamily said...

Very funny to read about you back in the days!!! But have to say I LOVE THE HAIR...ROCK ON!!!!

Kristen said...

You and me... we would have been best buds.

Do I admit that I DO know what an octopus is?

Your flashbacks are giving ME flashbacks. I swear I'm not going to get any sleep tonight.

bananaberry128 said...

your so brave! i would not admit the things i did. you still look the same-no fair.

Jenn said...

That was such a fun read! I loved every picture. Wasn't it so fun to relive those days?