Custom Search

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Miraculous Conception

One year ago today, at about 9:30 am, this little cutie was conceived.

It was Sunday morning, and David and I were just recovering from one of the biggest arguments we have ever gotten into. (The observant among you will notice that we made up when we were supposed to be in Sacrament meeting.)

As many of you know, we have been married 7.5 years (at the time, 6.5 years) without being able to bear children. We wanted children but didn't feel compelled to pursue any sort of medical intervention. We accepted whatever the Lord saw fit for us and were pretty much OK if that meant living out our mortality as an awesome aunt and uncle.

But on Sunday, September 2nd, I got this overwhelming burning/tingling "feeling" from head to toe that I was going to get pregnant, and I could not deny it.

The first trimester of the pregnancy had its moments of drama and anxiety. During one such episode, I asked David for a priesthood blessing. In it, he mentioned that my daughter and I would be OK. This was when we learned we were having a girl. We couldn't contain our excitement, though not everyone in our families accepted this announcement as truth.

Wasn't she a cute little fetus??


Baby Adhis was born 40 weeks and 2 days after being conceived. And we've been in trouble ever since.

I am fascinated by her brain and body development and am amazed that she favors me. (David is always "the favorite" with people, so this is a weird adjustment for me.)

Lately, it's been nice to get a little less this:


And this:

And get a little more of this:


And this:


My favorite thing is to get her out of the crib in the morning. When she opens her eyes and realize it's me coming to get her, she greets me with a gaggle of big smiles and grins complete with her little tongue and nose wrinkles. (I tried to get a video of it, but she got shy when she saw the camera and stared at it suspiciously while sucking her thumb.)

One of David's favorite things is this:


When she's ready to sleep, Miss Thang ALWAYS puts her left thumb in her mouth and her right hand on her head. She could be screaming her lungs out demanding we take her out of the crib "this instant!", but as soon as she gets in this pose, she's off to Dream Land.

Maybe that's the pose I should try myself to get better sleep?


[Posted songs: "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" by Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwo'ole]

[I'll leave "Rainy Day Bells" by Globetrotters up for a while also.]

14 comments:

Marie said...

What a wonderful miracle!! So glad you're getting less of the first two pics and more of the later two. :)

TheOrttFamily said...

She is so stinkin cute...and it's funny when they find that comfortable pose that makes them happy..your thinking how does that help but ok...Rylie and Dylan had the same two fingers they sucked on..on their left hands and dylan still does soemtimes out of comfort...She is SO cute though...love the hand on top of her head..hehe

Sheree said...

I love the screaming picture. So funny! She is a doll. And I got that lightening like feeling before I was pg with Simone. It was pretty incredible! Comforting too. Baby Adhis is so sweet. And isn't it nice when they just really want their mama? I love that.

chelon:) said...

from the looks of that picture, she must have a serious set of lungs on her! crazy too about your "intuitions!" i wish i had some of that :)

Joyful Mother of Children said...

Oh Adhis, she is sooo cute! What a blessing, that's really what it boils down to. Being a mother is one of the most wonderful things Heavenly Father could have given. We are blessed!!!!

Sara Lynes said...

Being a mother is one of the most wonderful things we can do in this life. I find that my children are both my greatest trials and my greatest blessings. I am learning and growing, (more patient), every day. There is nothing else I would want to do with my life. Yes, one day I would love to travel, maybe exercise, but I wouldn't change what I am doing now for anything in the world.

Sara Lynes said...

Being a mother is one of the most wonderful things we can do in this life. I find that my children are both my greatest trials and my greatest blessings. I am learning and growing, (more patient), every day. There is nothing else I would want to do with my life. Yes, one day I would love to travel, maybe exercise, but I wouldn't change what I am doing now for anything in the world.

Adhis said...

Sara, motherhood changes the type of exercise you can do, how long you do it and when you can do it, but you can still exercise, Mama! I have lots of mommies around me with many kids who teach me that. (Maybe I'll do a post on that sometime.)

I know you will be able to take good care of yourself; you've just been a MOMMY TO AN INFANT for like the last 5 years and that's the most demanding stage!

Heidi said...

Such a cute post! I love how she sleeps. Macie (my baby) always sticks her right finger in her mouth when she's upset and crying. If she's hurt its the right and left at the same time. Funny how we learn what our kids are trying to tell us!

Jenny said...

So cute, love the pictures. Such a little miracle, I know I said it before but I am so happy for you both to be blessed with such a sweet adorable little girl.

Kat said...

She is an absolute doll! I am glad that you are getting more smiley pics. When I go to get Brinley out of bed, I get smiles and giggles too. It totally makes it worth it for you to get out of bed, doesn't it? :) They grow out of it to quickly though, as Caden tells me "Just give me 10 more minutes mom. I'm sleeping." He's learned TOO quick. LOL

Jenn said...

I tagged you. Go to my blog to see what you need to do!

the mama hood said...

How sweet! The blessings of the Priesthood are amazing! I added you the blog list! Have a wonderful day with your beautiful little girl!

Kristen said...

So she's video camera shy too? All performances stop at our house when the camera comes out. Oh well, we can record them in our memories I guess.

I love the pictures - her eyes are amazing. She has a melting little smile too. I'm so happy for all of you.

She sleeps just like a little angel baby I once knew...

You're good at remembering dates!