Custom Search

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Gad-zukes!

On the way to Kid to Kid on Saturday (BTW, there's a new Kid to Kid by WalMart in AF), David and I drove by a freesale. We picked up a heavy Williams & Sonoma butcher block table (covered in glitter, glue, and marker ink-- gasp!-- we'll sand it off) and two "big-A" zucchinis. I had planned to use them for stir-fry. The owners encouraged me to take the other two they had out among some gourds and suggested I make zucchini bread. I don't know how to make zucchini bread; I'm not a pioneer. So, the zukes sat on my counter for a few days.

Wednesday, I decided it was time to do SOMETHING with the zucchini. I hate to see fresh produce go to waste. I googled 'easy zucchini bread' and found there are no less than 1 million recipe variations. I picked one and printed it out.

When I got back to the kitchen, I realized I couldn't just toss a zucchini into a mixing bowl and hope it would dissolve into the batter if I stirred hard enough. I had to shred it. The recipe called for 3 cups of shredded zucchini. Even though these zukes were huge, I looked at them and hoped I'd have enough for the recipe. I washed, scrubbed and dried the 4 monsters and cut them into spears to fit in my food processor and began sending them to their painful shredded death.

I needed 3 cups of shredded zucchini. Do you know how much shredded zucchini you get from four big-A zucchinis?? Guess.

If you said "a freakin' buttload," you are correct! You have just won a freezer bag of shredded zucchini! There was zucchini everywhere, on the walls, on the floor, on my shirt. I'm pretty sure I flung some into the middle of October.

Long story short (ok, so there really isn't a story), I made the bread. It tastes fine, nothing to write home about, though apparently ok enough to blog about. I still have a buttload of shredded zucchini. What else can I make with it? Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe something savory? Let me know. Send me a link. Something.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zucchini Bread Recipe

from http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001330zucchini_bread.php

Ingredients

2 eggs, beaten
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups grated fresh zucchini
2/3 cup melted unsalted butter
2 teaspoons baking soda
Pinch salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1 cup dried cranberries or raisins (optional)

Method

1 Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix in the grated zucchini and then the melted butter. Sprinkle baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour, a third at a time. Sprinkle in the cinnamon and nutmeg and mix. Fold in the nuts and dried cranberries or raisins if using.

2 Divide the batter equally between 2 buttered 5 by 9 inch loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in to the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool thoroughly.

Makes 2 loaves.

11 comments:

Katy said...

Hahaha - I see you are having the same "struggle" I've been dealing with. I have had a constant pile of zucchini on my counter for a month or more now. Every time I feel like I am finally using it all up or giving enough away (we put a basket full out on the sidewalk several times a week with a "free" sign), my garden bursts forth with enough to replenish my supply.

We've eaten a LOT of zucchini lately, and I have found a few recipes I really like. Here's a good AND easy one we've had for dinner several times.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Zucchini-Alfredo/Detail.aspx?prop31=7

Heidi said...

Zucchini is one of those mysteries to me. Does anyone REALLY like them? Why do people plant them? Is it because they are easy to grow and look like you're a master gardener because they produce and produce? Maybe someday I will plant A zucchini plant, but not many at one time. I do enjoy a good Z bread or cake, but seriously, why grow them??

the mama hood said...

I have some Zucchini and I am gonna try this on out today! Thanks this looks so darn good!

Christi said...

I had a friend add it to spaghetti sauce....

Jenn said...

YUMMY YUMMY is all I have to say. Love the raisens in it!!! It might sound weird but when we had a lot of zucchini we put it into our pancakes. It was like having a piece of zucchini bread. But I seriously don't think you need many ideas just make some more of the YUMMY bread!!!

Adhis said...

OK, OK, I have to say that the zucchini bread tasted a lot yummier after a day of being covered and chilled in the fridge. I'll have to remember to let things cool before I taste them instead of trying to chew them while simultaneously blowing on them.

Thanks for the ideas!

Kristen said...

My bread recipe actually says to let it sit overnight before you eat it.

I didn't plant any this year because someone always offers. Sure enough. Two medium sized ones gave me TEN cups. I quadrupled my recipe, took loaves to my grandmas, and the remaining 6 cups are still in my fridge a week later. Oops. I bet you got at least 15-20. I do have a rotary grater that makes the job easy.

If the Christofferson's are still there, I remember Julie had a REALLY yummy chocolate zucchini bread recipe.

Last summer (when I did plant it) my grandma told me to freeze shredded zucchini, two cups in a ziploc. I've used one of them since then. Just today I defrosted my freezer and threw out about 10 pounds of frozen zucchini. =o) Apparently I wasn't dying to have zucchini bread during the winter like I thought I would be.

Um, novel's over.

Nathalie Smith said...

Lucky! I constantly am buying zucchini at the store weekly! No one offers me any, I guess I need new friends. I put it in everything, I just chop it up real small if need to hide it. Spaghetti(which by the way I am making this Sunday for ya'll), Salads,egg omelets, enchiladas, mac-n- cheese(that I steam and puree in the sauce), Dorito casserole, almost any casserole really, rice, the list goes on and on.
LOVE IT. GIVE ME SOME.

Sunni said...

I grew up surrounded by "freaking buttloads" of the stuff. Love it. I cut it up, use it in pasta dishes, stir fry, but my favorite way growing up, was we just shredded it, steamed it with some garlic salt and butter, then when it was almost cooked, we shredded cheddar on top, and let it continue steaming while the cheese melts. Zuchinni and cheese. Yum.

Kat said...

You can freeze the zucchini in ziplocks and then use it later. I don't have any recipes off hte top of my head. :) Good luck with all of the stuff. LOL

treen said...

I know what to do with tons of shredded zucchini.

CHOCOLATE zucchini bread. It's like dessert, but you can justify that it's healthy because the amount of zucchini in it.

And thanks for your post a few days ago about putting $2 a week in a savings account. It was a kick in the butt that I needed.

(P.S. I'm a regular lurker on the Eric D. Snider message board so while you may not have a clue who I am, I'm pretty familiar with you in an "imaginary friend" sort of way.)