Custom Search

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Baby Boost

A thought occurred to me about a week ago: Baby Dhis needs to serve. She is here for a divine purpose, and I don't want to wait to teach her that. BUT, I didn't know where to go with this revelation.

A couple days later, I received an email from Lindsey stating that she was going to Greenwood Assisted Living to allow the residents a chance to hold her baby, and she was inviting anyone interested in enjoying the same opportunity; I just knew this was right for Baby Dhis!


Lindsey brought her two daughters, Mia and Tera; Marcela brought her two children, Lucy and Benny, and I brought Adhis.

I purposely brought Baby Dhis with no socks and shoes on since I know how old people feel about bare baby feet. I figured it would give the residents something to talk about when they tell me my baby's feet are either cold or small.


The ladies and gentlemen LOVED holding the little babies and thoroughly ENJOYED having the lively toddlers visit around the room.

I was so happy to be visiting at Greenwood! When I became pregnant, I promised the Lord I'd remember that this was His child entrusted to my care and I would raise her how He wants her raised and not how I would want.

Baby Dhis wasn't sure what to make of all the new faces. The new faces weren't sure what to make of her name. :)

She was a little cranky from needing a nap, and we'll prepare next time for that, but the grandmas and grandpas thought she was adorable anyway.

In this photo, Delsa is warming Baby Dhis' feet.

I kicked myself when I realized I forgot my camera. These photos were taken by Lindsey. I'm so glad she brought her camera!

We all had such a good time there and will do this again! There were about 14 grandmothers and grandfathers holding and beholding our children, so we would certainly welcome anyone who'd like to share the joy of their little children with people who don't get to see or hold babies very often.

14 comments:

Katy said...

What a wonderful thing for you ladies to be doing with your little ones! This is a great reminder that it's often the simplest things that bring joy to another's life.

Marie said...

What an inspiring post. Thanks so much for sharing and for your great example.

chelon:) said...

what a fantastic idea! i am sure that they absolutely loved what you did :)

James and Heather English said...

That really is a good idea. I'm still laughing about the old people worrying about Adhis's feet. My grandma is always bothering me about my kids feet being too cold/hot. Must be an old person thing...

TheOrttFamily said...

That is such a touching story..I never would have thought about that..that's what makes you so sweet and thoughtful ahhhh....

Kikibug said...

Very inspiring...she is so blessed to have you as a mother to teach her how to be sweet, compassionate, and lets not forget hilarious. That is so funny about the feet thing.

Aubrey said...

I would have never thought to bring my rambunctious 2 year old to an old folks home, but this is a GREAT inspiration!

Heidi said...

That is awsome! I would not have thought to do that, but I know how much they loved it. I used to sing at rest homes on Sunday nights and it always gave me the best peaceful feeling to be around these sweet old people. Fantastic service idea!

Kat said...

How fun. I use to work at a rest home, and I know that they probably had a BLAST! People there love visits, but young kids and babies are the best. :) You guys are awesome! Let me know if you do it again, I would like to go.

Kat said...

How fun. I use to work at a rest home, and I know that they probably had a BLAST! People there love visits, but young kids and babies are the best. :) You guys are awesome! Let me know if you do it again, I would like to go.

Keri said...

I am going to take a page out of your book and do more of that with my own kids. My husband and I both worked with the elderly for 8 years, well I guess he still does. but they are so sweet. I am sure they just adores your baby girs.. you got points in heaven for that one!

Sarah said...

Let me know next time you go. Dale would LOVE to talk some old guy's ear off about video games and action movies. And Gigi would play shy at first, but she'd ham it up in the end.

Kristen said...

We're taking our kids to a rest home to do their FHE program in a few weeks. I'm really excited. I remember my parents dragging me there when I was younger. Baby Adhis WILL get something out of it... in addition to the warm feet.

Adhis said...

It was a great idea! I just want to make sure y'all know it did not spring from my cranium. Cheers to Lindsey's cranium!

"HOORAY LINDSEY'S CRANIUM!!"
[/villagers]