Custom Search

Monday, August 25, 2008

Trapped in the Get-Away

I was gone out of town all last week to what I had hoped would be a nice change of pace, a get-away from my routine. David's job was sending him to Carson City for a week via road to deliver and set up some equipment, and he suggested Baby and I tag along. We thought it would be a good opportunity to introduce Baby Adhis to David's ailing grandparents in Sacramento, only 2 hours further. I had never been to Carson City or Sacramento.

We stopped at the Bonneville Salt Flats on the way and I thought, "I'm going to get to see all sorts of new things!"


How was Sacramento? Never made it.
How was Carson City? I don't know. In the entire week, I got to spend a WHOPPING 10 minutes out of the hotel room; I was trapped by a non-sleeping baby, exhaustion, and no stroller. So, I can best describe Carson City as a constant 73 degrees, furnished in cherry veneer furniture, a 5-piece lamp set, and great television cable.

Our 7-hour trip was 12-hours each way. Baby Dhis did not like sitting in her car seat for long, no matter how comfy or how many baby animals were printed on it. Once in the hotel, she reverted to her newborn sleep/wake schedule to make up for being stuck in a car all day.

I came back from that trip in a foul mood. I'm better now, but I wasn't "better" then. I was so stinkin' bored. I would have rather stayed home and spent the week weeding our lawn with tweezers.

I took photos through the SUV's window as we sped along:

I took photos of the inside of the SUV:
I took photos when I got out to stretch my legs:
I took photos in the hotel:

That was my trip. The highlights were (1) sitting at a desert exit nursing my child before realizing I was staring at the decomposing body of a coyote and (2) discovering that the hotel's cable package included HGTV. David was glad I had at least that for a few hours each day, but realized on the way home that it would come back to bite him in the wallet when I began our car conversation with "I have some ideas for the master bathroom and the bedroom..."

5 comments:

TDawgYo said...

Those are adorable photos of baby Adhis in the hotel. In the first one she's all "This is my right hand. It looks pretty good."
And in the second one "But it doesn't taste as good as my left hand."
The third "I can put my whole fist in my mouth!"
And the fourth "Wanna see me put both of them in? Ta-dah!!!!!!"

Kristen said...

Yikes. Sorry about the unexciting trip. Might I guess that you were staying at an AmeriTel?

Baby Adhis certainly is cute! I could have just stared at her all day every day. I suppose maybe that gets old after a few months. You should have MacGyvered together a stroller and gone searching for adventures! Easier said than done?

Adhis said...

Tashi!!!

Kristen-- We were at the Marriott Courtyard. We were rocking their breakfast until we realized it was NOT complimentary. We didn't feel like paying $9/person. Again.

Joyful Mother of Children said...

Ugh, traveling with infants, just another one of those things that, not unlike child birth, I have blocked from my memory.

chelon:) said...

so very sad! i was debating whether or not to travel to utah for christmas....i am having second thoughts now! THANKS ;)