Custom Search

Monday, August 11, 2008

A Tiny Baby Rant

You don't need to turn off the music to watch this video. (I had planned to post a new song but I'll leave the dog song on for a couple more days before replacing it because I chuckle more watching this video with it.)

video

Lucky girl! She's got her Daddy's dance moves. Look out, world!

She's a week short of 3 months old and she has FINALLY grown out of her Newborn size clothes. It has only taken her 2.5 months to be 0-3 months. Go figure. At this rate, she will be able to wear her cute summer dresses with snow boots!

Baby Dhis had her 2-month check-up on Friday. She weighed 8lbs. 10oz. putting her at 5th percentile. Her reflux is still there. I was about to ask the doc if it was ok to lower her crib mattress when my baby choked on the oral vaccination the assistant was administering to her. There was my answer.

Did I mention it was vaccination day? Baby Dhis was happily sucking on her pacifier when the assistant inserted the first of five needles into her thigh. Baby's sucking paused, her eyes got big, her mouth opened letting the pacifier tumble down her body and onto the examination table. Such a sad little cry began, and as the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th needles were put in, her face turned red and she silently inhaled for her big cry. (You know the one.) "Cry it out, sweetie!" I said as the energy built up in her face. She screamed her pain out. My heart winced. Once the band-aids were on, I held her close and she buried her face into my neck. Then... she was fine and dandy. So much so that the receptionist didn't believe me when I told her she had, in fact, just received her shots. (Na-ah. Ya-huh. Na-ah. Ya-huh.)

Here's my rant...
I am taking care of this baby. Asides her acid reflux, she is feeling great! I feed her, clean her, rock her, play with her, love her. She is sleeping, playing, and chilling. She is a small girl compared to a lot of babies, but she is the same size I was at her age. Small does not equal undernourished. Her pediatrician says she's fine, just petite. Stop telling me to feed her longer, more often, and in greater quantities. Stop telling me I need to give her a bottle of water. Don't tell me she's hungry when I've told you she's crying because she's sleepy. Don't tell me she's hungry when I've told you she needs her diaper changed. Don't tell me she's hungry because she's sucking her pacifier. Don't tell me she's hungry because __(fill in the blank)__. Baby and I have each other down for the most part; we're together 20 to 24 hours of the day. We're tight like that. I don't mind advice or suggestions, but do not hound me with feed-her!feed-her!feed-her! after I've told you what my baby is asking for because you're essentially telling me that I am wrong and you would be a better mother to my baby. And don't try the passive route by telling my baby "Oh, why you cryin'? Are you hungry? Yes, you're hungry. Maybe Mommy will feed you" because that crap don't fly no matter how many miles you try to log with it. My baby is lightweight, not underweight.

(The preceding paragraph has been edited to remove the multiple uses of the words"$%@#!" and "#*@^$!")


Baby Dhis says: "Do these look like the muscles of a wimpy baby??? You don't want tickets to this gun show!"


So, there.

13 comments:

Aubrey said...

Hahahahah! You make me laugh! I felt exactly the same way when Hailey was a newborn. I pretty much had it figured out, and I just wanted to punch people in the throat when they tried to tell me how to parent MY baby!!

Also, just a quick tip for shots, see if they can bring in more than one nurse. If they have two nurses, the shots go a lot quicker and easier...at least that is what I've found...

The Silvia Family said...

I can relate. Sevi turned 4 in April and it was a big milestone, she finally hit the 10th percentile in height and weight! At this rate her 1 year old brother will be bigger than her by Christmas! My favorite how to parenting moment was when a lady chased me down in a parking lot to tell me I needed to put shoes on my babies feet. What is it with old people and shoes?

We're Wingin It said...

What a great dancer she is--soo cute. I have petite girls too, they start out bigger, then just don't grow much.

Heidi said...

Poor kid with the shots. That is the worst thing ever! I hate watching my kids be hurt. Macie was happily playing with her teddy bear, loving the crunchy paper under head head when the shots came. That look of betrayal all but tore my heart out. Kids all grow at their own rate. She's fine. I have little girls, too.

Jenny said...

Awe, cute, she looks so tall and long, but obviously gets that from her dad.
You are so funny, I totally agree about the "feed you baby" thing. Every time my baby cries everyone constantly says, oh he's hungry, he must be hungry, bla bla. Ya, it bugs :)

Sunni said...

Ya, I got CHEWED by an old lady in my ward for bringing Macie back to church "too early". Wow. That was awkward.

James and Heather English said...

That is the hard thing about when you nurse you aren't seeing EXACTLY how much milk your kid is getting, so everyone assumes it's not enough. I had the same experience and it is so irritating! She is so cute, I love the top picture since she is sporting the cutest dress in town. :) Keep up those dance moves baby girl!

Sara Lynes said...

Do you remember how small Daniel was? He was only 11 lbs at 4mths. I was so worried about him. He really wasn't getting enough to eat, but I know that isn't always the case. My sister practically has drawfs. No joke. They are just tiny people. Her four year old is the same height as my two year old, but my two year old weighs more. Anyway, there is nothing to tick a Mom off quicker than hearing, "why is he/she so small?" I got so sick of hearing all of that smack with Daniel. HE is bigger and taller than average now and that is ok. My sisters kids on the other hands aren't and that is ok too. People don't know near as much as they think they do! You are her mom and you know what is best. Immunizations suck! Hate the look of fear and why are you letting them do this to me? We stopped with child #3. It's all a matter of opinion about all of this parenting stuff.

Lyns said...

Shots are the worst. I always feel so bad when Ava has to get them, but she gets over it quicker than I do! :) And about your rant, I so get it. I felt like that when Ava was born, but for a lot of different reasons. You're her mommy, you know the deal. :)

Christi said...

You're so much further along with this parenting thing that I was after Zac was born. I was very much affected but comments and always asking what other people thought. I got over it quick, though. I'm a firm believer that our children will teach us what we need to know about them.....she is a cutie!

Sarah said...

When people are holding your baby and they try to pull the whole, "Oh, why are you crying? Are you hungry?" thing, take her back, and say, "No, you're not hungry are you! You're just crying because that annoying lady thought I was being a bad mom! And you know better don't you!! Yes you do..."
PS -Gigi and Dale LOVE watching the baby dance to Who Let the Dogs Out. They made me play it for them over and over and over...

Kristen said...

People actually say that? I think Baby Adhis looks great and petite and sweet. But what do I know?

With Jonathan, I got to hear the opposite comments. He was huge. I was happy he was huge because he was healthy. BUT I guess people always need something to comment on. My favorite was "Wow, look at how huge he is! Are you making WHALE milk or what?!?!"

"Yes, ma'am, thank you for hinting that I am a whale mother."

VernonKids said...

You crack me up! I love how you just say it how it is! :) I can relate with the advice with Hank...people always comment on how much he must eat to have rolls like he does, which in fact he's a picky eater and doesn't eat more than a toddler really. It's just funny because my mom always said, "mom knows best!" and now I know what she means! Anyways, Adhis is beautiful and I actually can't believe how grown up she looks in her cute pics! I guess I haven't seen her in awhile...so she gets her dance moves from Dave and her looks from you right?!? jk Dave!