Custom Search

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

New Mommy


We had a bit of a scare in which I thought I was going to subtitle my blog "Life with 2 kids under the age of 1." (Or in case of twins, "with 3 kids under the age of 1".) The sub-sub-title would have been "blogging from the white padded cell." Nothing against kids, or against my own baby, but I was having trouble sleeping waiting for the first morning's urine. (Ah, "urine." Now, I've done classed up the joint.)

Anyhoo... all is officially clear for sanity to return to the fold. Just to be doubly sure, I had my doctor run a pregnancy test when I went in for my 6-week appointment yesterday (which was 8 weeks since I gave birth). (It's been a long 2 months. Yeah.) Finally! I can exercise with no restrictions. :) (Like I was really diligent with holding off until the check-up. Obviously, I didn't wait for the appointment before dabbling in other activities.) (What's will all the parentheses today?) (Are they on sale?) (Whatever.)


ONLY 2 MONTHS OLD AND ALREADY A DIVA
I'm not sure what to do with a girl baby. I typically lean towards the practical side of things (with occasional exceptions in shoes) and have trouble with the frilly. I was not only a tomboy when I was a kid, I freakin' thought I WAS a boy.

Here, my daughter is crying at the obvious fashion crime in her headband.

"Pleeeease, don't take me out in public looking like Aladdin!!"

I did. She has yet to forgive me for it.

Just wait until she turns 12 and I let loose with my fashion... sense... of ... creativity. Yeah, let's call it that.


MacGYVER MOMMY
When I'm on the computer, I have Baby Dhis sit on a bouncer next to me. She doesn't really last more than 5 minutes before she starts complaining. The other day, I noticed her briefly stare at the magnets on the desk next to her. Then, she looked away and started crying.

These are mainly magnets that come free on phone books or from doctors' offices. I keep them to use when making labels for the drawers on my metal desk and file cabinets. I got an idea.

I haven't scrapped any books in ... I don't remember when. (I think it was snowing outside.) But I always keep my paper scraps, even when they're too small or too random to realistically be used again. I got my scraps out, cut the magnets up and adhered the two together.

TAH-DAH! Baby art created in less than 5 minutes and without a penny spent.

She looks at them for a good 20 minutes. Then, it's nap time.




I know I will miss this stage of her little life, but I'm sure anxious for Adhis to be 4 years old. I've done that age before, and it will be nice to get into familiar territory again. Maybe then, I won't feel like such a new mommy. Or not.

13 comments:

chelon:) said...

what a fantastic idea with the magnets! i think i am going to have to do that. i think it would be great fun to have 2 kids under the age of one :) NOT!!

Lyns said...

Great idea with the magnets. So Macgyver - although it didn't include a paper clip. :) I love th Aladdin pic - and wow, talk about a scare. There's nothing like a "maybe" pregnancy to get your heart rate up. Especially where you are. Obviously, you didn't understand the "six-week" rule. :)

Heidi said...

Love the magnets. Isn't it funny the simple things in life that make our kids happy - and us?

Jenn said...

Ok so 2 under the age of 1 wouldn't be all that bad. If I can do 3 kids 3 and under it can't be to hard. Love the Aladdin picture! And the magnets are great. I've been using them just to glue pictures onto, but I love how yours turned out.

Sarah said...

Nothing scares the crap out of Steve like, "Honey, ummm... I'm a little late." Last April Fools I was going to pretend I was pregnant, but I decided it was too mean. (He REALLY doesn't want another kid right now. -Someday, just not now). Love the magnent idea, by the way. You have cute scrapbooking paper!

Katy said...

Who really follows that six week rule, anyway? I never did, but okay, I guess SOME people do - based on the looks on their husbands faces after a month or so.... Seriously, it's SO obvious if you watch for it. Haha!

My gosh, baby Adhis is darling!

Kat said...

She is an absolute doll! I love her facial reactions. She is going to have FABULOUS fashion sense. She has a great lookin' mommy. And whew! I'm glad things went good for you in the test department. Great idea with the magnets by the way. I might have to use that with Brinley. :)

Wendy said...

Hey Adhis-
You asked on my blog about the sling thing- I'd say it's definitely not that you started her in it too late. Duncan was about 2 months too. Is it a pouch style sling? Did they send you anything with ideas for positions/holds with instructions? I found it's also best to put them in at first when they're full and a little tired, but not cranky yet. Then get moving. If she's in a position where she can see, and you're walking she might be happier. Of course, I don't know what you've already tried... if it would help I can come show you what worked with Duncan. I did that with some lady's baby in a store and she said she'd never have figured it out or bought the sling if she hadn't been shown. I'm that way too. Instructions on paper only help so much. It could be a "fit" thing too. I have my sling in 2 sizes for different stages, seasons, etc. Sorry to be so lengthy, but I don't have your email!!!! :)

Keri and Corey said...

What a good idea giving her something to look at! Since you asked, we live in Lincoln. It is such a super nice family centered mormon saturated area and we LOVE it. which is why we are only moving down the street. We live in Northern California, And I would say the traffic here is not worse than the last time I was in Utah for the 4th of July!?! whats up with that place. plus the streets are lined with flower....not kidding! Move! I am all for recruiting! and since you can get a huge house for cheap right now it is a great time!

Kristen said...

DUDE. We need to swap kids. Just for a week. If you have the four-year-old thing figured out, then Jonathan is definitely at the wrong house. Oh yeah, he's five now.

During "struggles" with him, I sometimes think back to when he was the sweet little baby in the chair, staring at things. How did I mess him up so much in five years?!?! =o)

If it weren't for Dhis' milk addiction...

Anyway love the magnets - way to go Mama!

Adhis said...

Awwwww, Kristen, don't beat yourself up; you didn't mess him up. Ben did. ;)

mom adhis said...

Ha Ha !! You're FUNNY, just wait till she turns four and then you will miss these days, when she stares at magnets quietly and falls asleep.
At four if every thing is quiet, SHE better be asleep. :)

See you soon.

mom adhis said...

BTW, Maybe you ought to get an "X Box" (not).