Custom Search

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Danger in the Kitchen; Danish Dessert

David is afraid of refrigerated biscuit tubes, the kind that pop open when you peel the label off. Lately, I’ve been making a dessert that calls for TWO of these pipe bombs. The other day, I was doubling the recipe, so I had an arsenal of FOUR tubes of refrigerated rolls. I feigned busyness and asked David to please open the tubes. Wanting to be helpful, he came into the kitchen. He grabbed a tube and began slowly peeling the label off, meanwhile his eyes flinched and his face scrunched up in anticipation of the explosion. I couldn’t help it, I lost my poker face. Dave looked up and saw my amused expression.

“Hey! You just asked me to open this 'cause you know I’m scared of it! You are so mean!"

A chase around the kitchen ensued, and I got a spanking. That'll learn me.

Now, even though he figured out I was just using him for my entertainment, David was sweet enough to open the second tube for me anyway. He, again with the flinching eyes and scrunched up face, began to slowly and carefully peel the label off the cold tube. The silence in the kitchen was thick. He had gotten a couple inches of paper up when I couldn't help but grab his arm and yell "POP!"

"That's it!" he yelled, dropping the tube on the counter and off I was again, running from him.

I've made that dessert a couple times since that incident. I still ask David to open the tubes, and he still does it, even if it’s just to amuse me. I always hear the song "Buttermilk Biscuits" in my head... just for a few seconds... then I yell "POP!" again.


Here’s the recipe (I got it from Jenn, I don’t know where she got it.)


Fruit Danish Dessert

Ingredients:
2 cans (8oz each) refrigerated crescent dinner rolls, divided
2 tubes (8oz each) Light (or not) Cream cheese spread
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided in half
1 egg white
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 can (21oz) fruit pie filling (I prefer strawberry, then blueberry, but you can use cherry, whatever you please.)
1 to 2 Tbsp fat free (or not) milk


PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Unroll 1 of the cans of crescent dough. Place in greased 13x9-inch baking pan; press onto bottom of pan to form crust, firmly pressing seams together to seal.


BEAT cream cheese spread, 3/4 cup of sugar, the egg white and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Spread onto crust; cover with pie filling. Unroll remaining can of crescent dough onto large sheet of wax paper or silicone mat. Pat out dough to form 13x9-inch rectangle, pressing seams together to seal. Invert over pie filling to form top crust; remove wax paper (or silicone mat).


BAKE 30 to 35 min. or until golden brown. Cool at least 20 min. Gradually, add milk to remaining 3/4 cup sugar, beating until well blended and thick. Drizzle over warm dessert. Cut into 24 rectangles to serve. Store leftover dessert in refrigerator.


[Posted song: "Buttermilk Biscuits" by Sir-Mix-A-Lot]

11 comments:

Aubrey said...

YUMMY! Sounds DELISH!!!

I have to admit, I am a little bit of a flincher when it comes to those biscuit tubes too!

Poor Dave!!

Lyns said...

Your hubby seems a little big to be afraid of a tube of rolls, but to be honest, they are a bit frightening. Too funny. By the way, the dessert is Delish! I just realized the song that is playing. HaHaHa!

Kat said...

LOL! Oh my goodness, Adhis, seriously, I was laughing so hard I fell out of my chair. I can totally see Dave just flinching. I am a flincher too, and I can understand the trepadation of opening it. However, I think I would have yelled POP too. He he he. And I LOVE the song. I'm glad I read your blog tonight. :)

Jennica said...

You did it again...how is one person so funny/clever! Will you write my blog for me...heck, just teach me how to be funny instead!!! On a scale of 1 to 10 how good are they?

Adhis said...

Dave rates the strawberry version a 9 and the blueberry version an 8.9.

Maybe others will have a different opinion than I (NOT IF THEY KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR THEM!), but this dessert reminds me of cheesecake, so it depends how much one likes cheesecake.

Jenn said...

That is to funny! I could totally see Dave opening those cans. Maybe because I'm the same. I actually prefer the ones that for some reason don't pop. Then you now when to expect the pop as you bbang it on the counter.
Oh I got the recipe from the Kraft Foods Family Magazine. So if you ever loose it you can find it on their web site as a Cherry Cheese Danish. Although i have to agree with Dave I like the strawberry the most.

Kristen said...

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY. I'm going to have to try this. I love friend recipes.

You and Dave have so much fun in the kitchen. I am SO boring. I don't know if Ben even knows the cans pop. I'll have to try it out.

Who are you feeding all of these to?!?!?!

Sarah said...

Those were SO good last night!! You'll have to host book club more often. Your poor hubby -I'm sure getting to eat the treats made up for his heart stopping!

islandgirl said...

Those were so good too! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I rate the strawberries a 10, by the way!

Sara Lynes said...

That is hillarious!! You are just as mean as a wife as I am! And obviously Dave is a sweet and forgiving husband like Eric. I love this story. Hey what about Baby Adhis? Did you make her move to your inlaws or something?

Adhis said...

Baby who?