Custom Search

Monday, June 30, 2008

Seconds

Last night, Baby didn’t sleep. She didn’t want to even though I explained to her that the mall was closed, there was nothing good on TV, and all her friends were asleep in their beds. She wanted to stay up anyway. "Fine by me!" I told her. I had wrongly assumed if she was going to be awake the whole night, it was going to be the QUIET awake. She didn’t want any of that either. She wanted to be LOUD awake. Since she didn't have a stereo to blast or the coordination to turn it on if she had one, she resorted to crying and screaming. She won her argument and we were all up through the night.

Neither Dave or I could get her to calm down at all.

Full belly: check.
Clean diaper: check.
Time on the rocking chair: check.
Comfortable room: check.

Still a "no go" on the content quiet baby.

Fast forward to now.

I slept an hour and a half last night. Not all in a row, mind you. That would have been almost helpful.

At about 11:30 a.m. this morning, Baby informed me she’d like some quiet time in her crib and would I please respect her privacy. I complied.

I got dressed (finally!) and made my way to the kitchen for breakfast/lunch/snack. I was pleased to find in the fridge a storage container of Taco Soup. I promptly served some into a bowl, shredded some cheese into it, broke some corn tortilla chips into it, and microzapped it. Halfway through devouring my taco soup, I realized I was REALLY hungry and would want seconds, but with a short amount of time before Baby would call for her own lunch, I didn’t want to waste time by waiting until I finished eating my first serving to prepare the second serving.

I shoved a spoonful of food into my mouth and pulled out another bowl from the cupboard and filled it with soup. I shoved another spoonful of my first bowl. I shredded some cheese for my second bowl and put it in the microwave. I had 3 or 4 more spoonfuls of my first bowl. The second bowl was ready. I broke chips into it. I finished my first bowl, grabbed the second bowl, and enjoyed the encore while typing this blog entry.

Now, I just need to decide if I want a second helping of children. It’s probably too soon to tell. Or is this the perfect moment of clarity in which to decide?

Time’s up. Your Highness beckons.

14 comments:

Jennica said...

Well, I am glad that despite getting no sleep, you still were able to blog and get some yummy taco soup in your belly!

Kristen said...

If I were to define "moment of clarity" I don't think it would involve lack of sleep or taco soup. But that's just me. =o)

I think a better time to decide is when you're cleaning pukey beds or pulling a screaming child through the store or throwing away the remains of your favorite vase. Or wondering what those red bumps are or if your child really ate the mushrooms on the lawn. That's clarity.

So why do we do it? Why keep going back for more? Speaking only for myself - I will lose sleep and miss meals whether I have one child or twenty. (Yikes) Each one has added new meaning to my life, and I wouldn't trade that for any amount of sleep. You'll get there with Adhis - when she becomes a little person rather than a ...
cute helpless thing.

You may still decide you don't want another serving. No problem. You'll know what's best for your family. Why didn't I just write that in the first place?

Kristen said...

ps - I love her eyes. What a cutie.

brittneyboucha said...

it sounds like baby adhis is breaking you into mommyhood really well. We tell alyssa all the time her friends are asleep and she needs to sleep too. She has recently decided she wants to sleep with mommy and daddy. My mom just said its "pay back time". Beind mommies and daddies can be special at times when all are eyes just want to do is close for a long time.

Kristen said...

Yes it's me AGAIN. Just wanted to say that I hope tonight goes better for you. Sweet dreams...

Jenn said...

I hope you got more sleep last night. I was thinking maybe she is just giving you a preview into her teenage years. Wanting to stay up all night and make a lot of noise.
Way to go on the eating while making more soup. Maybe the lack of sleep is what makes multi-tasking happen. Now if we could just sleep and clean at the same time life would be great.

James and Heather English said...

My question is how you have had zero sleep and still can write the funniest blog posts of anyone I know? Maybe you get funnier the less sleep you have I don't know. Thanks for the laugh Adhis!

Kat said...

Adhis, I have to thank you so much for the great laughs. I love to read your blog. It is truly the highlight of my day. Good luck getting more sleep tonight! There is consolation that you know that they don't keep you up at night for forever. :)

Sara Lynes said...

Both of you are doing a great job. I am so happy to have such great people in my life. Parenthood is hard, period. Yes you may get more sleep in the future, but the hard only changes to a different hard. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but realistic.
The fact is it is all worth it. The trick is to enjoy it. Realize that she is only going to be tiny for a little while. Then, being your child, she will grow and have LOTS of opinions. You think sleepless nights are hard:). You want her to be a strong independent person, right, she is just showing a little of her personality to you right now. Or maybe she just has gas! Good luck sleeping more. We love you!

Nathalie Smith said...

Fun times!

Nathalie Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nathalie Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sunni said...

its a good thing these babies come cute, or we might not be so willing to put up with these shenanigans.

Kikibug said...

I agree with others, you are SO funny even with NO sleep. How DO you do it. I just whine and cry, cry and whine. Wait, I do that even WITH sleep these days.
I do have to say that she is SO BEAUTIFUL! Those black brown eyes are way too sweet!