Custom Search

Monday, June 23, 2008

It's Been One Month

We went back to church yesterday! HOORAY! It felt like we had been gone forever but everything was still the same. It’s like we hit “pause” the Sunday before we had the baby and everyone but our family froze in time. Yesterday, we "unpaused" time once we got into the chapel and everyone picked up where they left off.

Everything was the same. Well... EXCEPT I was lugging baby stuff through the hallways like a Bel-Air bellhop. AND at one point, I had the urge to pee, but I couldn't go to the bathroom because I had the baby in tow, so I held “it” until I got home. AND when she was hungry during Sunday School, I had to leave class to warm up her bottle of mama's milk even though I was listening to the teacher. AND after Relief Society, I couldn’t just get up and go home; I needed David to show up and help me carry the baby and luggage out.

(Here's baby before church sleeping as soundly as a High Priest during sacrament meeting.)


Odd thing in Sunday School: David fed the baby her bottle, but then he was afraid to burp her in class, so the poor girl just kept spitting up. I think he was afraid of “being rude” if she burped or, heavens, TOOTED loudly in class. He sacrificed the baby’s intestinal comfort for his own timidness. He is so weird sometimes... it’s a family thing. I say, if the baby has gas, the baby has gas. If the ward is opposed to natural baby

stirrings and tootings, they should ban babies. “Families are together forever! Unless one of you has gas.”


(Dress a gift from Heather; Headband a gift from Sheree.)


I felt good being back at church even if I came home buku exhausted from missing the usual daytime feedings and naps. I tried to make Banana Nut Chocolate Chip bread that evening and forgot to put nuts and chocolate chips in the batter. I barely got the bananas in.

[Baby minutiae ahead. You have been warned.]

Baby Adhis is a month old today!

She is almost sleeping consistently in between feedings. Almost. She is feeding every 3 hours during the day and every 3-4 hours at night depending on the alignment of the stars. I am now mostly feeding her straight from the tap (though it still burns to do so) with some occasional feedings from pumping.



At her 2-week appointment, she weighed 6lbs 14oz and measured 20 inches long. Yey! And no jaundice! This photo is of her with a biliruben blanket light, which she used for about three 3 days. Whenever David put her in this, he would drone "Phone hooome..." Every.Stinkin'.Time. For 3 days.

Isn't she the cutest little glow worm you have ever seen?

16 comments:

Aubrey said...

I don't know if you guys remember when Hailey was really little, during Sunday School she would ALWAYS, it NEVER failed, pass gas LOUDLY, or belch LOUDLY...usually at very inopportune moments. Everyone always turned and looked at us, and everyone usually ended up laughing pretty hard, especially Ryan.

Heidi said...

Look at me! The first one to post. I love google reader! Baby Adhis is a DOLL! Even Jeramy said how cute she was at church on Sunday. (the guys who notices nothing). And you are looking GREAT! There's nothing better than lugging a baby, diaper bag, car seat, primary bag, and scriptures through church. I always think, "How long are we gone for???"

Adhis said...

Who's going to be the one to tell Heidi??

brittneyboucha said...

the first sunday we went back to church with Lou she passed lots of gas and her poop went all over her outfit right during the opening prayer in relef society. everyone looked at us smiling and i said "meet alyssa" fun experiences!

Lyns said...

I'm so glad you made it through church! It's almost like you have to pack 3 hours in order to go somewhere for 3 hours. She is absolutely beautiful. My daughter had to use the biliruben blanket AND the suitcase for an entire week. It was not fun, but the little glow worm look is so stylin'!

Kristen said...

Poor Heidi. I won't tell though. Think she'll notice?

I LOVED this post Adhis. =o) They're such cutesie pictures and I'm happy you survived your first church outing.

I think Ben takes pleasure in burping our kids loudly at church. Anything for entertainment.

One more thing... Someday you'll learn that you CAN hold your baby while you take a potty break! Even while nursing. Is that gross? There's a lot of things you can do when you HAVE to. =o) There should be some kind of mommy olympics to test our skills...

Kristen said...

Forgot to say how gorgeous you look. I love the mom and baby picture. She has such cute eyes too. Um I'll stop commenting now.

TheOrttFamily said...

I love reading your post..you make me laugh everytime..ever thought about writing a book?? You look great and so does the little one..I need to take a walk down the street and visit but for some reason everywhere I go I have like 5 ducklings following me..hmmm..

Jenn said...

SO I'm wondering if the comment about sleeping like a High Priest is directed at Landon. I came back from feeding Anna and found him holding Alita and they were both asleep. Luke was having a great time! Talk about inappropriate behavior! Every one has baby burping and gas stories. For some reason I'm not surprised to hear Ben enjoyed the whole experience. Remind Dave he now has someone to blame all of HIS inappropriate noises on.

chelon:) said...

hilarious! i am with vanessa...write a book! you look amazing and your baby is a doll. as for church, i forgo the car seat. there are usually plenty of people willing to hold your baby for you! it is great for their immune system too...that is why my kids are rarely sick!

Kat said...

You are so cute! I have that same dress for Brinley and LOVE it. It is the perfect dress. She is such a little doll. Sorry to hear we missed your first church outing. We were out of town visiting family.
Caden was on the bili blanket for 24 days. I have the cutest quote that i need to tell you. We called him our little glow worm, and a lady at my work gave me this quote...."I wish I was a glow worm cause a glow worms never glum. It's hard to be so gloomy when the sun shines out your bum." I loved it and thought you might get a kick out of it too. :) Love ya!

Kristen said...

Love your new song. I'll be dancing all day. It's one that always sticks.

We're Wingin It said...

Cute pictures! She is sooo sweet. Miles is looking at this right now and talking about "Baby Adhis." He really loved having her here!

Maybe we can borrow her again? Everyone needs a little newborn therapy sometimes!

The Silvia Family said...

You just need to remind Dave of that time we were over at your place and "Ben" had gas. If he needs more fathering tips of that sort we've got a ton.

She's a doll. For one second I wanted another baby. Then my "baby" started yelling because he could't quite reach the glass full of water and pull it off the table. Ummm yeah, maybe I will wait.

Sarah said...

Hi Adhis! I think this is my first comment, though I've read your blog a few times. (I love it by the way!) First off, Steve and I teach the youth Sunday School class. One Sunday Gigi refused to go to primary, so she was hanging out with us in our class. She was spinning around in the middle of the room when she farted. She giggled and said, "I pootered." Yup, the teenagers all thought that was hilareous.
Secondly, I totally feel your pain. I cried and cried after Dale was born. I had NO experience with kids. I didn't know what I was doing. I had panic attacks every night for weeks. It SUCKED. I'm so glad your feeling better. I know everyone had offered, but I have to put it out there -PLEASE call me if you need a break for a while. I have no life. I'd love to help.

Amannda Ashby said...

I think one reason my Dad loved holding the babies at church was simply so that he could pass gas and just look down and put all the blame on the little one. Your baby looks just like a little doll. Too bad you can't just put her up on a shelf, so that you can take a break and go pee. With the first baby you probably are not thrilled with the idea of her being passed around church, but keep in mind those of us that really don't want to go through those long difficult months of being pregnant and our little one is not so little any more would love to have a chance to hold Adhis. It is kind of fun to admire a baby, but be able to give them back to their mama when start crying.