Custom Search

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Hard at work in the Bahamas

To start off, I'd like to mention that in the previous post Adhis says she sometimes calls me a few pet names. I want everyone to know that she calls me PumpkinHead because I have a huge noggin and Orejas because my ears are humongous. There.

Recently I had the tough assignment to accompany a co-worker to Nassau, Bahamas. We worked hard Monday through Thursday and managed to have most of Friday off to have fun. One of the guys we were doing work for mentioned that Stuart Cove's Diving has great snorkeling and scuba diving trips. I did a little research and found out that they have a scuba diving program where non-scuba certified people can experience scuba diving with a dive instructor after a basic class.

I have dreamed of scuba diving since I was about 10 years old. I spent the whole week trying to convince my co-worker to go diving with me on Friday. After resorting to the fail-safe tactic of questioning his manhood, he decided to go with me. Woohoo!

We picked the most gorgeous day to go out on the ocean. The water was calm and blue-green. It was incredible. The photo above was the first dive site. I was a little nervous when we first started dropping 4 or 5 feet below the surface, but I soon realized that breathing was easier than with a snorkel. Within a couple of minutes I felt really good and started having a great time.

I brought a little Kodak underwater camera along, but the pictures didn't do justice to how beautiful everything was underwater. It was one of the most amazing things I've done in a long time.

I couldn't believe how vibrant the colors were on all the fish. There were schools of yellow-tailed snappers everywhere.
The airplane wreck was from one of the Jaws movies. I guess they wrecked it as part of the movie and left it there. There were so many fish swimming around us that it was hard to get a clear shot.

During the dives we went on that day I saw a lion fish, a couple of barracuda, a reef shark (I'm not sure exactly which species, but this looks close to what I saw), and a wrecked Coast Guard Cutter. Beforehand, I thought I would be really nervous to see a shark while underwater, but when I saw the reef shark I felt more curiosity and amazement than anything. Plus, the sharks in that area are more interested in hurt and dead fish than humans. But it was comforting to see the shark swim away from us rather than toward us!

The end result of my scuba diving trip was that I realized scuba was even cooler than I thought it would be. I'm going to get scuba certified this summer and I think I'd like to get a better camera for underwater photography. I had a ton of fun snapping pictures of everything I saw.

Nassau, I hope to come see you again, soon!

1 comment:

Nathalie Smith said...

Oh it looks so beautiful! You are so lucky!